Remappable Keys and Mouse function

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
no avatar
User

AvidLearner369

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:47 am

Remappable Keys and Mouse function

Postby AvidLearner369 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:04 am

Hello All!!

I just bought this game from Desura and I think its great and a lot of fun :D ! I am having, however, trouble with the game because the controls are a little difficult for me to get around :? . It would be much easier if I could remap the keys and mouse into a config that I would be more familiar with and easier for me to deal with.

So my quistions are:

1. Is there a way to reconfig the Keys/mouse from either inside or outside(like a config file) the game?
2. And if there isn't, Are there plans to implement this in the near future?

Thanks for your help in advance :D !

Avidlearner369
no avatar
User

domderek

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:46 am

Re: Remappable Keys and Mouse function

Postby domderek » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:26 am

Welcome to the AvidLearner, I hope you are enjoying the game so far!

There is no way to remap the keys yet implemented in the game, although a lot of people want it. It has been looked at it the past, and is not easy to implement into Unity. While it probably can and will be available in the future, it would take more time to implement right now than Jam (the dev) is willing to commit to it right now. I may be wrong, but you are not alone in wanting remapping.

Is there anything specifically you are having problems with? Perhaps we can give you advice on a workaround or something?
Domderek
Chairman of the M.I.N.E.R.S. Guild Council

M.I.N.E.R.S Guild
no avatar
User

AvidLearner369

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Postby AvidLearner369 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:46 am

Hey domderek!

Thanks for answering my post so quickly!

The two things that come to mind about the control scheme are the steering and the firing scheme.
every time i try to fire my weapon my ship wants to veer to the right. The control scheme I think would be ideal would if I cound use the mouse to stear my ship (up, down, left, and right) and use a single mouse button to fire, and if i could use the WASD keys like so:

W = forward thrust
S = backward Thrust/stop
A = strafe left
D = strafe right

As you said, I know it's not possible right now, but if I could get something close to ghat I would be very grateful!!

Anyway, Thanks for your help and advice and I looke forward to seeing you in the game!!

Avidlearner :)
no avatar
User

AvidLearner369

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Postby AvidLearner369 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:49 am

P.S.

I put a post in the "User Voice" forum, so if any sees it, please vote for it!!

Thanks!!
no avatar
User

moper

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:53 am

Postby moper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:32 am

AvidLearner369 wrote:Hey domderek!

The two things that come to mind about the control scheme are the steering and the firing scheme.
every time i try to fire my weapon my ship wants to veer to the right. The control scheme I think would be ideal would if I cound use the mouse to stear my ship (up, down, left, and right) and use a single mouse button to fire, and if i could use the WASD keys like so:

W = forward thrust
S = backward Thrust/stop
A = strafe left
D = strafe right

As you said, I know it's not possible right now, but if I could get something close to ghat I would be very grateful!!

Anyway, Thanks for your help and advice and I looke forward to seeing you in the game!!

You can hold right click in first person view to control the ship with your mouse and just press space or shift space to fire thrusters.
I'm not sure how firing your weapons could effect flight. Especially since I remember that weapons shoot automatically, unless that has been changed recently.
no avatar
User

domderek

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:46 am

Postby domderek » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Axials now fire by pressing x or clicking, moper. But yes, try the mouse steering in first person view, it is much easier especially in combat.

In terms of veering while firing, try using the "x" key to fire instead. My guess is holding the mouse button is causing steering issues when you shoot, so hopefully that will help.
Domderek
Chairman of the M.I.N.E.R.S. Guild Council

M.I.N.E.R.S Guild
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:59 pm

AvidLearner369 wrote:Hey domderek!

W = forward thrust
S = backward Thrust/stop
A = strafe left
D = strafe right

One thing I use is JoytoKey and a gamepad. This way you can map the buttons to whatever keys you want. Makes mining a breeze.

I also know some are using AutoHotKey that makes things a little easier also.

Hope that helps a little.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Postby jam » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Arrows and numpad already work on my keyboard anyway, worth trying them on yours.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
no avatar
User

Grinneg

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:34 am

Postby Grinneg » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:54 am

Adding my vote for this feature. Even if it meant using the computer subsystem to remap keys. It would be absolutely amazing if we could assign a hotkey to a computer alias, as a corollary.