Transporting small ships in big ships

This is where you can suggest new features and discuss upcoming features.
User

seikatsukira

Rank

Commander

Commander

Tue May 06, 2014 2:43 am

Transporting small ships in big ships

Postby seikatsukira » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:01 am

Please, please, PPPppLease! I want to stick a turtle on my seraph, so I can do some deep space exploring, and then hop into my turtle to grab some soil samples and do some core samples. The seraph is horrible and landing, it often bounces off the surface, and its even worse for taking core samples, since it turns soo slow, and is very hard to go from point to point while sampling.

I could have a Mount ship for transport or mount exploratory ship button; while I'm at my privet Space station. Then I can Jump out to a far off distance that a small ship would not be able to reach. and once in system, or near the planet that I intend to explore. I can hit the Pilot [shipname/shiptype] button and fly around my small ship. While the seraph just stays where I left it with the grav anchor on. Then after flying around I can use either a way point, or a warp option to return back to my main ship. At which point i would have a dock button, allowing me to return to piloting my big ship.

The turtle and sparrow both have downward thrusters now, making them very good ships for collecting planetary data, unfortunately they cannot reach the locations that are currently being explored.

Please Jam I beg you, put this near or at the top of the priority list! I would even be happy if it was added as a 4th premium option. Premium exploration!
Seikatsukira[/size]
no avatar
User

Achibot

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: Transporting small ships in big ships

Postby Achibot » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:23 am

I like this idea. I would use the Class name though so the button would become "Mount Runabout". Pretty much the only thing I'd change other than perhaps suggesting that the Guardian could be given a Runabout also.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Postby jam » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:43 am

Docking clamps or hangars... we've discussed it before.

It should go on the major updates list but it's much smaller than most features. It's just not minor because there's some DB stuff that goes with it.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:39 pm

jam wrote:Docking clamps or hangars... we've discussed it before.

The Seraph is already set up for 6 hornets/turtles with docking clamps. I think we will have to go up a few sizes before it is big enough for docking bays.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:22 am

Okay, here is my idea.

Allow us to mount hornets/turtles on the seraph with thrusters pointing at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Once mounted, we tie in the thruster controls to the turning thrusters of the seraph, so they fire to help turn the seraph. Three mounts on each side allows us to add up to three to each side allowing them to aid in the seraph turning. Two birds with one stone!

Another idea. I new module or improved mining beam that auto targets. This would allow us to mine from larger ships. If lasers can auto target, why not mining beams? It would still take time to turn the ship to get the asteroid in the target range, even with hornet thruster assist.

Yes, I actually worked hard today and when I work, I think about crazy things. So here is jsut a few of today's ideas. Now, make it so. 8-) :lol:
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Sinstrite

Rank

Commander

Commander

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Postby Sinstrite » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:04 am

rmartz wrote:Okay, here is my idea.

Allow us to mount hornets/turtles on the seraph with thrusters pointing at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Once mounted, we tie in the thruster controls to the turning thrusters of the seraph, so they fire to help turn the seraph. Three mounts on each side allows us to add up to three to each side allowing them to aid in the seraph turning. Two birds with one stone!

Another idea. I new module or improved mining beam that auto targets. This would allow us to mine from larger ships. If lasers can auto target, why not mining beams? It would still take time to turn the ship to get the asteroid in the target range, even with hornet thruster assist.

Yes, I actually worked hard today and when I work, I think about crazy things. So here is jsut a few of today's ideas. Now, make it so. 8-) :lol:

While these ideas might seem a little out there at first, after thinking about them, they would really add some depth to the game and give people some mechanics to "oooh and ahhh" over. The 3 & 9 ships on the Seraph for faster turning is a really good idea along with undocking them in deep space. Auto targeting for mining would be nice for resting the fingers a bit, but would need balance for the ability. I would personally enjoy a small and simple animation which lets me know when to let go at what degree rather than judging only by color, it's very hard on the eyes.

I would go even further and imagine if we could transport player ships on a player ship, as many others have mentioned. If Jam was in a Seraph and six new players in ______ type of ship could dock in his Seraph, that would be very cool. It would really bring together the "multiplayer" aspect of the game especially because it is industry based and teamwork always helps.

Imagine the Seraph flying some new guys out to a nice belt in deep space, and letting them go visit our colonies. "This is late game guys, you'll love it if you stick around." I would be impressed as a new guy. Is it simple to have a player which is docked onto another player ship receive the same images as the ship-controlling player, but have no control? Basically they would see what the pilot sees, and it would be pretty submersive.

Maybe we could throw four Mammoths into a bare bones Seraph? Mammoths save cargo space by having no HD's and low reactor/capacitor, shields, etc. Strict miner Mammoths. The Mammoths would mine, and dump their cargo into the main Seraph with a command? When the Seraph gets full, it goes to a colony and offloads, comes back, repeat again. I would have a blast in a small group doing some hardcore mining like that.

There's so many cool things we could do already with multiple people.
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Postby ForumBot » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:37 pm

I have an idea for this, but you guys probably wouldn't go along with this.

2 new ships. A small freighter and a large freighter

The small freighter is like a sparrow except it's looks different, it's larger, and it can carry 2 turtles

The large freighter is like a guardian except it looks different, it's more cubical, and it can carry 3 of any ship ranging from class 1-5
Joined on May 6, 2014
Formerly known as newuser12980
Discoverer of Nexus