User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

The Foe Option

Postby rmartz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Few may know that phpbb, which is the forum program we run here, has a "Foe" feature. It allows you to add a person to your foe list and it will block all posts by that person.

Click your User Control Panel link.

Then click the Friends and Foes link. Then click the Manage Foes link. This is where you can add foes.

While I have never used this feature before, I have known about it for years. I have now employed it and wanted to pass it along to any who grow tired of me, or others.

A person has a signature that is oversized and causing my small screen to be hard to read because it forces a wider view than my screen can display easily. I use a 17" older laptop that Jam has grown to hate through the years because of the smaller display. I am not a wealthy guy that has a massive display, and use what I have. Instead of fighting over the issue, I have chosen to add this person to my foe list, not because I can not deal with the posts, but simply because of the display and my request that it be made smaller, which was ignored. That is his/her choice. I can accept that. So I have added this player to my foe list and it blocks ALL posts from this player. If this player at some future time reduces the signature picture, or changes it to a smaller image, I would be thankful for someone to inform me and I can remove them from my foe list.

This is not a passive aggressive way to go after someone. Please do not misunderstand. It is just a tool that is available that allows you to block those who are bothersome for whatever reason without needless fighting. I like that. Just wanted to pass along the feature if someone else is having a similar issue or just gets tired of my chatter too.
Last edited by rmartz on Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Hubes

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:50 am

Re: The Foe Option

Postby Hubes » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:52 pm

How have I not ended up on that list after all this time? :shock:

I'll have to try harder.... :lol:

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware that was on here.
Founder of the Trade Guild

Two Term Colonial President

Owner of Planet Martine

Senator of Haven, Aptic, Hyde, Boraash, Raxia, Nexus, Nespia, and Altia systems
User

Spectre

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Sun May 17, 2015 5:22 am

Postby Spectre » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:38 am

Lol. Nice response. Never used foe option but considering it as of late.
Senator of
Spire Redguard
Fireside Alexandria
Provenance Ebon
Omega Prime

Member of TG, MG, and the Dark Calling
User

GullyJimson

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Postby GullyJimson » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:54 pm

If you have the Adblock Plus addon for your browser you should be able to right click on the offending image and select to "Block Element" which seems to stop the image from showing. There may also be other ways of stopping a particular image from showing in your browser.

If this works for you it might be better than using the Foe option mentioned.

Your player base is very small and I would suggest that starting to ignore each other on the forums could quickly lead to even more pronounced schisms between players and player groups.

I've noticed in the past that periods of bickering and disagreements between players can occur. Being forced to interact on these forums more often than not leads to compromises and apologies being made. An ignore option will make these reconciliations much less likely and will be, I suggest, harmful to the game itself and also top the overriding ethos of the game which is one of teamwork and acceptance.

Gully.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:27 pm

GullyJimson wrote:If you have the Adblock Plus addon for your browser you should be able to right click on the offending image and select to "Block Element" which seems to stop the image from showing. There may also be other ways of stopping a particular image from showing in your browser.

If this works for you it might be better than using the Foe option mentioned.

Your player base is very small and I would suggest that starting to ignore each other on the forums could quickly lead to even more pronounced schisms between players and player groups.

I've noticed in the past that periods of bickering and disagreements between players can occur. Being forced to interact on these forums more often than not leads to compromises and apologies being made. An ignore option will make these reconciliations much less likely and will be, I suggest, harmful to the game itself and also top the overriding ethos of the game which is one of teamwork and acceptance.

Gully.

:mrgreen: I've been aware of the foe option but would never consider using it for the reasons you've given.

:!: Wouldn't be surprised if I'm someone's candidate - I can be a pain-in-neck sometimes - my genes fault. :D