The Future of Ascent - TSG

If it's not about The Space Game, it goes here, or nowhere
User avatar
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore
Posts

1566

Joined

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Location

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

The Future of Ascent - TSG

Postby Mooncrest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 am

GullyJimson wrote:The thing that gets to me is that none of you guys and gal are stupid people. You surely must be able to see what has been obvious for quite some time which is that Jam has only a sense of obligation motiviating him to keep this game going for as long as he has ? he has no REAL and ACTUAL intention of updating this game to any meaningful extent and has not had for a while now. I've been watching developments for nearly 2 years now and there have been NO developments. You are pretty much where you were two years ago but with far less players.

This is not going to change.

Minor changes to market prices is an irritation to Jam and that is the only freedom he has given you and he still only addresses your requests when he feels like it because of obligation - If R Martz was not on his case constantly you would not even get that.

Stop trying to drag other people into this dead game.

£15.00 might not sound like a lot of money but it is. Every person that is conned into spending their money on this going nowhere game is being effectively conned out of that money. Now your dev is quite clearly happy to do that but none of you dudes ever struck me as the kind of people that would be happy doing so.

I've watched this game for a long time as it had immense potential but that potential vanished a long time ago and to encourage people to continue to spend money on this is in my opinion wrong.
Last edited by Mooncrest on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore
Posts

1566

Joined

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Location

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Re: The Future of Ascent - TSG

Postby Mooncrest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:46 am

RAN wrote:
GullyJimson wrote:Every person that is conned into spending their money on this going nowhere game is being effectively conned out of that money.

I am sorry you feel there is little for you, but this statement is unfair and I feel incorrect. Anyone buying the game now gets 3 months of great play. If they choose to go further, they can at little cost. This is no con. There is no trick. If it does not speak to you. feel free to move on, but deciding that it has to be your way for everyone else is a little ... narrow minded. Calling the game a con is out of bounds for me and unneeded.


EdIT: to correctly attribute the source of this post.
Last edited by Mooncrest on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore
Posts

1566

Joined

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Location

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Re: The Future of Ascent - TSG

Postby Mooncrest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:52 am

I have moved these posts to here because I felt that I could not reply to them fully in character which is the etiquette of the Politics forum.

Gully,
I agree that the Players of Ascent, especially the long-term Players, are not stupid.

I think we all realise, even if we are trying to hide it, that there is very little chance of the game receiving very much development work within the next year, maybe two. Jam has tried his utmost to get the funding he needs to continue the development of Ascent, but, alas, he has failed.

He has, however, managed to get funding for TMG,, at least that is what I understand from reading the forum posts. This has given him a dilemma, He must work in favour of his new investors, but he has an on-going commitment to his existing and new players of Ascent. All he can do id try and make minor changes to Ascent when he can, while concentrating on the development of TMG.

This means that you are right, Ascent is not going to change very mush, but you are wrong in saying that continuing to sell Ascent is "dragging people into a dead game"..

The game is not dead, it is stagnating, but there are many features that work in the game. There is enough entertainment in the game for it to be worth 15GBP. For your £15, you get three months Premium Access alone. if you take your time and don;t immediately rush into claiming Premium Access, you could get up to six months entertainment out of the game, before you have to rely on your own imagination to set your goals.

Where else can you be entertained for this length of time for that amount of cash; it is one trip to the cinema, two weeks sub to a satellite TV provider, maybe less, and two or three weeks sub to your ISP.

Even if you take it no further, that is value for money. It is even better value for money if you decide to continue for the extra £2 or £3 per month the sub costs.

The real problem the game has and has had all along, is that it is so different from other games out there. Mainly die to the completely options combat and the fact that it is very difficult to be in conflict with other players. This has led to a, probably unique, community; one that is frendy, considerate and helpful. A totally new experience for most new Players. this requires a whole new attitude towards the gameplay which can be difficult for some. hence the failure of people to join the game in any numbers. Though the adverse comments in the Steam Discussions, mostly by people who, imho, would not have wanted to play this type of game anyway, will not have helped.

The conclusion is the game works, mostly and the people who are still playing the game have found something to entertain them. We know that development is not goig to happen in a major way any time soon, but we ike to encourage new Players to find something to entertain them. I am sure, like me, other Players are trying to find ways of evtertaiing the Players using the limited tools we have to hand. I have a couple of ideas I am trying to develop. The subs paid at this point seem to be enough to keep the servers running and that is good enough for the time being.

Like RAM, I am sorry that you have been unable to find something that entertains you. As I said above, the game is not for everyone. However, at £15 new Players should get enough entertainment out of the game for long enough for them to decide if they can get more entertainment out of it. So they are not being conned and to inimate such is, as RAM says, out of bounds and, for me too, unnecessary.
no avatar
User

Zaq

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet
Posts

4

Joined

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Re: The Future of Ascent - TSG

Postby Zaq » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:54 am

Mooncrest wrote:
GullyJimson wrote:Stop trying to drag other people into this dead game.

£15.00 might not sound like a lot of money but it is. Every person that is conned into spending their money on this going nowhere game is being effectively conned out of that money. Now your dev is quite clearly happy to do that but none of you dudes ever struck me as the kind of people that would be happy doing so.

I've watched this game for a long time as it had immense potential but that potential vanished a long time ago and to encourage people to continue to spend money on this is in my opinion wrong.


Being one of those people that has recently started this dead game, I will add my thoughts.

$20 (or £15) is certainly not a deterrent when the average steam gamer has hundreds or thousands of games in their libraries. Those with less than 30 or 40 games are in the minority. Whether or not it is a worthwhile investment is up to the individual and most gamers have a pretty good stash of games that they spent very little time in, if any.

My point? No one is conned into buying a game, whether they are just trying it out, saving it for the future or simply playing it because they enjoy it.

For me, I was well aware that the game was devoid of players. I researched it quite thoroughly and figured it was worthy of my $20. I have 197 hours in the 2-3 months that I have played and feel that I absolutely got my monies worth.

Having a strong community is touted a lot, but is of little interest to me - nice to have but I don't interact much and never have through a very long gaming history (I'm 67 and rather set in my ways...). There are some aspects of the game that I'm not enamored with, but I have never found a perfect game and probably never will. I have zero interest in a lot of extremely popular games. I wouldn't tell people that it's a waste of time to spend money on those games or any other game - everyone has their own preferences for what is enjoyable to them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to suggest that those who enjoy this game shouldn't encourage others to join or spend money on this game is totally wrong in my opinion.
User avatar
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander
Posts

177

Joined

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: The Future of Ascent - TSG

Postby LadyHawk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Thank you for your perspective, Zaq...as a newer player, your opinion is greatly valued. If you have ever even opened chat, you have probably seen my name but I've never met you, so Welcome to Ascent! :-) I understand and respect that there are players, such as yourself, who prefer to remain out of chat....just know that if you ever do want help or advice, we are there :-)

Gully, I've seen some of your posts but I have not seen you ingame since I've been here, roughly 1 1/2 years now. I'm glad to 'meet' you and sorry that you feel the way you do about this game. Most of us share your disappointment that there is so much undeveloped potential here and our developer continues to postpone updates. He has not, however, stated he won't get back to working on them which causes a mixture of feelings...hope, that he will sometime in the not too distant future...frustration, each time he delays again...downright anger from people who have been waiting the longest and are fed up with that cycle. I suspect you're one of those who has been waiting longest and I don't blame you. Most of those people have gone to play other games instead...still keeping an eye on things here in case the major updates really do start to be made.

If Jam outright stated the game is now complete as it is and there will be no more updates, it would relieve the frustration and anger for those folks, and the game as it stands would still be a fun one for new players to enjoy for maybe 6 months to a year...well worth its cost. Personally, despite the fact that I get frustrated too, I don't want Jam to do that!!!! I'd rather wait and hope he gets back to working on this game. So, I find ways to have fun here while I wait....for me, the biggest asset of the game is its community and that's still here.Yes, its active numbers have shrunk but most of them are still in touch or check in regularly and they have become real life friends.

I also thought we might stay engaged by looking at things we can do, as players on our own, to better the game and community and that effort has led to an increase in activity here in the forum. Some people really enjoy talking about the economy here and its something we can have some limited effect on even without Jam. Is that what has so enraged you? If so...I apologize and assure
you I meant no harm or cause for increased frustration. If not...then I really just don't understand why you seem so very angry.
User avatar
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore
Posts

1366

Joined

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Location

UK

Re: The Future of Ascent - TSG

Postby davh62 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Gully. Good to hear from you. It's a shame under such a black cloud but there you go.

Never did I believe even for an instant that I haven't got good value for money during my time in game. In fact as I recall the game was in early access when I bought it therefore you take a chance buying knowing that things might not work out. My steam library is littered with dead EA titles but they were my choices.
Your frustrations are mirrored by myself & I suspect others. The thing is you can let your premium access slip & still come back to the game at any time. What disappoints me is your need to disrespect the game & us vets in the steam community page. Quoted below.

You and the other guy that might want to play that day will not be able to. Seriously mate do not waste your money on this game. The dev has a long history of doing eff all and he is now developing a new game which he has some financial backing for. This game will go nowhere, if you enjoy it as it is then no probs there are a good half dozen regular players who will happily help you out when you are online playing who are kidding themselves that it will ever become more than it currently is. It will never become more than it currently is. My advice would be to not waste your money here.



You were a great player(& still can be). Please refrain from these types of comments as they detract from the Gully that we know & respect.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User avatar
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain
Posts

749

Joined

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Location

Massachusetts

Re: The Future of Ascent - TSG

Postby Moneyman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 pm

:mrgreen: Gully, I had similar thoughts about Ascent the first few months into the game ... more than 2 years ago.

Frankly, I've got a few years on you and many years on JAM who seems clueless ... been there.

JAM has the narrow techie tunnel vision which many bright people have ... had tunnel vision once.

What JAM needs is a hardnosed partner who insists on results and wary of shortcuts.

Moon, zaq, RAM, dav, LH and many other Players deserve better from JAM ... never gonna happen.

He doesn't get it ... We need someone with vision who sees the game's real potential.

I'm the opposite of JAM in that I've long since grownup.

To me, he's the Once upon a time Peter Pan.
no avatar
User

darkwhistle

Rank

Ensign

Ensign
Posts

36

Joined

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Re: The Future of Ascent - TSG

Postby darkwhistle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:41 am

I share in the general feeling of disappointment that development of this game appears to be stalled more or less permanently, but I believe there is reason for hope. This game is a towering achievement - a monument to one man's genius, coding skills, persistence... and also to his ego. And it is the ego part which is primarily responsible for the current sad state of affairs and the bleak future some predict.

I see a different end. I see a day, not too long in the future, in which Jam, under legal, or financial pressures, or just a final guttering out of the flame of interest, finally decides to abandon his exclusive possession of the game. Unwilling to see the pillar of his genius cease to exist, however, he will finally sell the rights to a small studio, or even better, give it into the care of the creative community of players that has kept the heart of the game beating for the last couple years. On that day, I want to be a member of the club that helps the next development TEAM finally break this game out.

I am humbled by the testament to Jam's accomplishment that this game represents, but I am even more encouraged by the inevitable fact that this game will eventually break the clay pot in which it is currently kept; and, in losing its monument status, finally, become a great game.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | Style by KomiDesign | Modified by Chris Valleriani
cron