User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: RAM Memories

Postby rmartz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Agamemnon wrote:...an UNCA Beuracracy...lololol You crazy amish and your actual physical paper documents....loved that bit with the personal shield too...good stuff...keep 'em comin'

:D

I knew you would love the UNCA conflict with the RZ. I was thinking of you and DrZ when I wrote it. :)
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:21 pm

Levi stood staring at the UNCA Military Academy. Reflective glass and shiny metal could be seen everywhere. Flashing scenes of battles and fast ships flashed on multiple panels. Ads for recruitment and promises of reward were continually displayed. Small ships flying and attacking in formation. Large ships battling and destroying others. Mechanized troops moving and attacking. The might of the UNCA so proudly displayed.

I stood next to Levi and quietly waited. I knew well we Amish did not associate with the military, yet Levi seemed strangely interested. After a few minutes, a young girl that seemed the same age as me walked to the front of the building. She stepped up to some device. She put her hands into two slots and pressed her face against the padded front. After 30 seconds, a green light came on and the girl pulled her head back and hands out. She seemed very happy. She looked back and waved at an adult who watched from the street. By the time she turned back to the machine, a UNCA uniformed person stepped out and invited the girl inside. The door closed behind her. We waited another 5 minutes. Levi kept watching the door. It did not open again. Levi shook his head, put his arm around me and said, "Come boy, let's move on. This is not the place for us."

As we walked down the lane and turned the corner, we found a less tidy row. The buildings were not as fancy and the traffic was almost nonexistent. I felt Levi take my hand and hold it tightly. I could see concern on his face. The smells even changed here. It had a strong metallic smell in the air. Levi abruptly stopped. He stared at a build for a moment, then seemed to decide something all at once. "Come boy. Let us look here," he said as we walked up to a building with the name of Hemirodi Mining and Academy over the door. The building was not as nice as the ones on the academy row, but not as bad as some back home. There was one of the testing machines in front of this building too. Levi walked me right up to it.

"Put your hands in and press your head to the opening as you saw the girl do," Levi stated in a tone of instruction, not a request. I followed his instruction. As I slid my hands in, I could feel something warping around them gently. I stopped and looked back at Levi. He nodded me to continue. I pressed my forehead to the opening and my view changed. No longer was I in the row of the space station. I was now looking out of a ship similar to the one we flew in to get here. The view was the same, but I was in the pilot's seat. The ship Shot out of the station and started zooming around many asteroids. I heard a voice speak. "Align the ship. Align recticle on an asteroid then engage mining beam." I tried to recall what I had seen Johneaux do as we were flying towards the station. His instruction strangely returned to me. I reached the controls and worked at aligning the ship. The ship started to spin out of control. I could see the large rocks flying by as I rotated. I remembered the button that was used by my inebriated instructor as we flew from Ceres. I reach and touched the Grav Anchor button. Immediately, the spinning stopped and I could see an asteroid ahead. I moved the controls as I had seen Johneax and aimed the ship directly at the huge rock. A green button lit up. I pushed it assuming something would happen. It did. A beam shot out from the ship and hit the rock. I let go. The beam stopped. The computer reported the temperature and stated I needed to beam longer. I pushed the button again. The asteroid started to heat. I could see the colors changing. I held the button for a few seconds and let go. The rock exploded in space. I could see the heated core. Within a second, another beam shot out and seemed to suck the melted interior out.

It was then I heard the computer say, "Simulation ended. Your score will be tabulated and displayed." As I watched, the asteroid field and view disappeared. Across the screen, was one line, Mining Level =1. The image faded and I stepped back away from the machine. As I did, I saw a green light shining on the top of the machine. I looked at Levi. He had a smile on his face which disappeared in a second and a look of sadness replaced it.

"Did I do something wrong Levi?" I asked confused at his expression.

"Not at all. It just confirms what I was too afraid to speak before. It seems you have the ability to pilot ships. This is nothing our people can do. I fear this is leading us to where you will soon belong and that is not with Esther and myself." Esther's sadness now started making sense to me. I had a deep feeling that things were about to change.

"Come, let us enter and talk to someone inside. Maybe they can help us understand what this will mean," Levi stated as he opened the door to the shop we were standing in front of.

A man at the counter looked up, saw the green light and smiled. "Welcome the Hemirodi Mining and Academy. My name is Jacar. Do we have a new student?" Within a second of asking that and looking at our appearance, his face changed from a smile to total puzzlement.

Levi stepped forward. "Yes. My boy took your test and got a green light. What does that mean?"

"It means he has the neural pathways to fly ships. What was the score you received, boy?" Jacar asked with a soft tone, but still a tone of confusion.

"It said mining level was 1," I responded now knowing exactly what I was even saying.

"Well, that is the minimum, but you have the ability to pilot and to mine. I didn't think your people could do that," Jacar responded with a bit of surprise and growing excitement.

"I suspect his father had that ability." Levi paused as Jacar seemed to understand with a slight head nod. "What would be the next step for someone who had a child with this ability?"

"I would get them to enroll their child into the Academy. We teach just as well as the military, but we focus on mining, not killing." He seemed to know the impact that would have on Levi. "First you register here, then the UNCA can not conscript him. Then we start his training in ways of mining and trade." He opened a register. "Just have him press his hand here and we can get started."

"What is the cost?" Levi asked wisely.

"I tell you what. Help me develop trade lines with your people and I will do it for free. He is about the age of my boy and I can train them together. My boy just started. He is a few years younger, but shows great potential. We have living quarters available too. I know some about your people and I will respect your ways as much as I can. I need new trade lines. This would be very helpful to me as well," as he said that he reached his hand out towards Levi. This was the first time we had seen anyone make an attempt at the physical contact we were so accustomed to. I could tell that Jacar was doing it to communicate his willingness to meet us and an understanding of our ways. I could also see some desperation in his face for just a second. I could also tell Levi saw it too because at that very moment he reached up and shook Jacar's hand firmly and smiled.

"Let me get my boy. Jacarie! Come here." A large crash was heard then instantly a young boy a year or two younger than me stepped in from another room. "Jac, meet our new student. Show him how to register and then take him one a tour of the place," Jacar instructed with a tone of joy in his voice.

The boy looked at me strangely for a minute, then walked up and started his instruction. He talked as if he was in charge. He got me registered, then grabbed my suspender and pulled me to the back room he had emerged from. I looked back at Levi as I was passing through the door. He nodded and smiled. Unknown to me that that time, but that doorway has forever changed my life. I can still see it clearly. I remember the moment I left my Amish life and entered into this world of brokenness. I also remember that Jacarie was the one dragging me out of my life of love and peace into his world of machines and conflict.

As I entered into this new world, Jacarie pulled me to place that made all the noise. He had equipment and machines in all stages of disassembly. He started naming parts and machines. The names confused me, but his friendliness surprised me. He seemed to no longer notice my clothes or actions. He just took me in as a friend. This felt strange. I had casual friends back home, but they always seemed guarded or a little distant. They always acted like I did not belong. Yet, today, in the matter of minutes, Jacarie acted as if I did belong. As we progressed, he handed me a new shirt that matched the one he wore. The Academy name and design was on it. He said I would have to wear it when I started. He set me up with a workstation and we left the clothes there.

Within minutes, we were out the side door and into the street. Jacarie was so busy showing me all his machines and modifications, he did not notice the group who was walking towards us. They were dressed as some of the images from the UNCA Academy. As I turned, I could see four approaching. I could tell from their body language and faces, they were not so friendly.

"Jacarie," I said quietly.

"Call me Jac. Now pay attention. I have modified these probes and can control them from my armband here," he continued with his instruction without looking up.

"Jac, I think you need to look, " I said as I grabbed his sleeve. This caused him to fall into his pile of machines with a loud crash. It sounded strangely similar to the crash I had just heard inside.

"What are you doing …" he stopped questioning as he saw the group approaching.

The largest of the group started laughing loudly. The others chiming in, except the a younger one slowly following the group.

"Jacar … ie, why do I always find you in such a mess! You miners just don't seem to know how to walk. Maybe that is because you were born in space during a mining run," he laughed. I could tell it was not meant to be a compliment. Jac climbed out of the pile and stood facing his insulator.

"What are you doing here Vargas. You're not supposed to be here anymore. Even your academy has told you this is off limits for you."

"I was just concerned for you. I saw you fall and knew I needed to help you stand because we all know that Hemorrhoid Mining can not stand on its own. That is why your failure of a father has to try to recruit our rejects. And talk about a reject! Look what we have here!" The leader of the group said as he approached me and pulled one of my suspenders out and let it pop back against me with a loud snap.

Jacarie jumped up and started towards Vargas. I had never been in a conflict like this before, but somehow I knew what to do. I held out my arm and stopped Jacarie. He was surprised by my strength. A strength of years of hard work. A courage from knowing who had taught me and the wisdom from where he drew his strength. My people had survived much worse then this and we had learned ways of doing it without retaliation. Now was my turn to honor that, or attempt it. I reached my other hand out towards my assailant.

"Hello. My name is RAM. It is nice to meet you. What was your name again?"

"I am Vargas and you will often feel the pain of my name," he said as he reached out to take my hand. I could feel him start to twist my arm and squeeze my hand in an attempt to make me feel the threatened pain instantly. I looked at him and his friends and smiled. He had no idea that I had spent years with reins wrapped around my hands pulled tightly. He also did not know I had years of squeezing tightly on reins to control horses eight times the size of him. I started to squeeze. In a second, I could see the surprise and change in his face. Within seconds, his body started to respond to the tightening grip. I continued to smile as his knees started to buckle. His head jerked around to his friends.

"Red Wing, attack!" He yelled with pain and anger in his voice. Two of the three moved forward. The youngest one lagging behind uncommitted.

"Not so quick," Jac said as he pushed a couple buttons on his armband. Immediately drones started to lift up and hover, " … , or you will feel my RED STING! These are K11 attack drones equipped with lasers. I press one more button and they will fire at anything red. So take another step because I want to test my new upclassed cl 2 pulse lasers," Jac said as he moved his finger to the flashing red light on his armband.

The two approaching Red Wings froze, looked at each other and then at their own red shirts, at Vargas in his red shirt, then turned and ran. The one that was lagging, stood to watch. "Come on Pro. Let's get out of here!" yelled the leading Red Wing running. The lagger, smiled, nodded ever so slightly in my direction then turned and left with his companions.

I eased up my grip as I matched the pressure being exerted on me. Vargas seemed to have little strength left, so I released his hand. I looked him in the eyes waiting for his next move. He had a very puzzled look and then looked past me to the hovering drones.

"This is not over yet, Jacar … ie!" He stated it as it was an insult. Jac did not react or flinch. He kept his finger on the pulsing red button.

"Well, I hope to meet you again soon, Varg … ie," I responded more to fill the dead air. At that, Jac started to laugh. He almost fell down he was laughing so hard. I did notice that his finger never wavered from the button in all his laughing.

"Yea, Vargie! It is great to see you, Vargie. I hope you stop back by so I can test my drones again, Vargie!" He burst into laughter again. Vargas' face turned almost as red as his shirt with anger pasted all over it, yet, he made no movement towards us again. He slowly walked back then turned and, as best he could, gathered himself, straightened his uniform and walked around the corner yelling at his retreating Red Wing.

Jac pushed another button and the drones settled to the ground. Still laughing, he slapped me on the back.

"I think we are going to be good friends," he said as he waved me back into the building.

"Jac, would you have really hurt them? That was not worth taking a life for some small insult," I asked saddened as I thought about the events.

"Nah. They were just core sampling probes. Wouldn't have hurt unless they bummed them in the head. Those military are too dumb to know the difference though. They think everything is a weapon, so I just let them think that."

"You lied!?" I asked out of shock and confusion. My people did not lie. We would not even take oaths because we feel it would suggest we were not telling the truth at other times. So committed to honesty because we see it as a reflection of the Almighty, who is the author of all truths. I was not accustomed to dishonesty. Jac just shrugged and laughed.

"I will honestly never call him Vargas again," he said as he burst into laughter again. We walked back into the main office where Levi and Jacar seemed to be finishing up some agreement. Jacar watched Jacarie laugh and smiled with a satisfaction past the event unfolding.

"I think this is going to work out well, "Jacar stated to Levi. "Bring him back next week ready to stay for a while. We will start his training. His neural pathways are not wired as most because of his upbringing. It will take longer to get him able to pilot, but we will not quit until we do," Jacar stated as he slapped me on the back similar to how Jacarie had done. Jac smiled and nodded. Jacar reached out and slapped Jacarie on the back then gave him a gentle hug. I could sense I was going to be in for some interesting times, but I could also tell I was in a good place with good people. I looked at Levi, and I could tell he sensed that too.

All the sudden my mind flashed to Esther. How would we ever tell her? I walked over, took Levi's hand and squeezed it gently. We said our parting words. Jacar had lined up a fellow miner to shuttle us back to Ceres. We returned with little talking. I knew our biggest fight was coming as we would have to face Esther. Now I was getting scared.
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Postby ForumBot » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:02 am

rmartz wrote:5

Levi stood staring at the UNCA Military Academy. Reflective glass and shiny metal could be seen everywhere. Flashing scenes of battles and fast ships flashed on multiple panels. Ads for recruitment and promises of reward were continually displayed. Small ships flying and attacking in formation. Large ships battling and destroying others. Mechanized troops moving and attacking. The might of the UNCA so proudly displayed.

I stood next to Levi and quietly waited. I knew well we Amish did not associate with the military, yet Levi seemed strangely interested. After a few minutes, a young girl that seemed the same age as me walked to the front of the building. She stepped up to some device. She put her hands into two slots and pressed her face against the padded front. After 30 seconds, a green light came on and the girl pulled her head back and hands out. She seemed very happy. She looked back and waved at an adult who watched from the street. By the time she turned back to the machine, a UNCA uniformed person stepped out and invited the girl inside. The door closed behind her. We waited another 5 minutes. Levi kept watching the door. It did not open again. Levi shook his head, put his arm around me and said, "Come boy, let's move on. This is not the place for us."

As we walked down the lane and turned the corner, we found a less tidy row. The buildings were not as fancy and the traffic was almost nonexistent. I felt Levi take my hand and hold it tightly. I could see concern on his face. The smells even changed here. It had a strong metallic smell in the air. Levi abruptly stopped. He stared at a build for a moment, then seemed to decide something all at once. "Come boy. Let us look here," he said as we walked up to a building with the name of Hemirodi Mining and Academy over the door. The building was not as nice as the ones on the academy row, but not as bad as some back home. There was one of the testing machines in front of this building too. Levi walked me right up to it.

"Put your hands in and press your head to the opening as you saw the girl do," Levi stated in a tone of instruction, not a request. I followed his instruction. As I slid my hands in, I could feel something warping around them gently. I stopped and looked back at Levi. He nodded me to continue. I pressed my forehead to the opening and my view changed. No longer was I in the row of the space station. I was now looking out of a ship similar to the one we flew in to get here. The view was the same, but I was in the pilot's seat. The ship Shot out of the station and started zooming around many asteroids. I heard a voice speak. "Align the ship. Align recticle on an asteroid then engage mining beam." I tried to recall what I had seen Johneaux do as we were flying towards the station. His instruction strangely returned to me. I reached the controls and worked at aligning the ship. The ship started to spin out of control. I could see the large rocks flying by as I rotated. I remembered the button that was used by my inebriated instructor as we flew from Ceres. I reach and touched the Grav Anchor button. Immediately, the spinning stopped and I could see an asteroid ahead. I moved the controls as I had seen Johneax and aimed the ship directly at the huge rock. A green button lit up. I pushed it assuming something would happen. It did. A beam shot out from the ship and hit the rock. I let go. The beam stopped. The computer reported the temperature and stated I needed to beam longer. I pushed the button again. The asteroid started to heat. I could see the colors changing. I held the button for a few seconds and let go. The rock exploded in space. I could see the heated core. Within a second, another beam shot out and seemed to suck the melted interior out.

It was then I heard the computer say, "Simulation ended. Your score will be tabulated and displayed." As I watched, the asteroid field and view disappeared. Across the screen, was one line, Mining Level =1. The image faded and I stepped back away from the machine. As I did, I saw a green light shining on the top of the machine. I looked at Levi. He had a smile on his face which disappeared in a second and a look of sadness replaced it.

"Did I do something wrong Levi?" I asked confused at his expression.

"Not at all. It just confirms what I was too afraid to speak before. It seems you have the ability to pilot ships. This is nothing our people can do. I fear this is leading us to where you will soon belong and that is not with Esther and myself." Esther's sadness now started making sense to me. I had a deep feeling that things were about to change.

"Come, let us enter and talk to someone inside. Maybe they can help us understand what this will mean," Levi stated as he opened the door to the shop we were standing in front of.

A man at the counter looked up, saw the green light and smiled. "Welcome the Hemirodi Mining and Academy. My name is Jacar. Do we have a new student?" Within a second of asking that and looking at our appearance, his face changed from a smile to total puzzlement.

Levi stepped forward. "Yes. My boy took your test and got a green light. What does that mean?"

"It means he has the neural pathways to fly ships. What was the score you received, boy?" Jacar asked with a soft tone, but still a tone of confusion.

"It said mining level was 1," I responded now knowing exactly what I was even saying.

"Well, that is the minimum, but you have the ability to pilot and to mine. I didn't think your people could do that," Jacar responded with a bit of surprise and growing excitement.

"I suspect his father had that ability." Levi paused as Jacar seemed to understand with a slight head nod. "What would be the next step for someone who had a child with this ability?"

"I would get them to enroll their child into the Academy. We teach just as well as the military, but we focus on mining, not killing." He seemed to know the impact that would have on Levi. "First you register here, then the UNCA can not conscript him. Then we start his training in ways of mining and trade." He opened a register. "Just have him press his hand here and we can get started."

"What is the cost?" Levi asked wisely.

"I tell you what. Help me develop trade lines with your people and I will do it for free. He is about the age of my boy and I can train them together. My boy just started. He is a few years younger, but shows great potential. We have living quarters available too. I know some about your people and I will respect your ways as much as I can. I need new trade lines. This would be very helpful to me as well," as he said that he reached his hand out towards Levi. This was the first time we had seen anyone make an attempt at the physical contact we were so accustomed to. I could tell that Jacar was doing it to communicate his willingness to meet us and an understanding of our ways. I could also see some desperation in his face for just a second. I could also tell Levi saw it too because at that very moment he reached up and shook Jacar's hand firmly and smiled.

"Let me get my boy. Jacarie! Come here." A large crash was heard then instantly a young boy a year or two younger than me stepped in from another room. "Jac, meet our new student. Show him how to register and then take him one a tour of the place," Jacar instructed with a tone of joy in his voice.

The boy looked at me strangely for a minute, then walked up and started his instruction. He talked as if he was in charge. He got me registered, then grabbed my suspender and pulled me to the back room he had emerged from. I looked back at Levi as I was passing through the door. He nodded and smiled. Unknown to me that that time, but that doorway has forever changed my life. I can still see it clearly. I remember the moment I left my Amish life and entered into this world of brokenness. I also remember that Jacarie was the one dragging me out of my life of love and peace into his world of machines and conflict.

As I entered into this new world, Jacarie pulled me to place that made all the noise. He had equipment and machines in all stages of disassembly. He started naming parts and machines. The names confused me, but his friendliness surprised me. He seemed to no longer notice my clothes or actions. He just took me in as a friend. This felt strange. I had casual friends back home, but they always seemed guarded or a little distant. They always acted like I did not belong. Yet, today, in the matter of minutes, Jacarie acted as if I did belong. As we progressed, he handed me a new shirt that matched the one he wore. The Academy name and design was on it. He said I would have to wear it when I started. He set me up with a workstation and we left the clothes there.

Within minutes, we were out the side door and into the street. Jacarie was so busy showing me all his machines and modifications, he did not notice the group who was walking towards us. They were dressed as some of the images from the UNCA Academy. As I turned, I could see four approaching. I could tell from their body language and faces, they were not so friendly.

"Jacarie," I said quietly.

"Call me Jac. Now pay attention. I have modified these probes and can control them from my armband here," he continued with his instruction without looking up.

"Jac, I think you need to look, " I said as I grabbed his sleeve. This caused him to fall into his pile of machines with a loud crash. It sounded strangely similar to the crash I had just heard inside.

"What are you doing …" he stopped questioning as he saw the group approaching.

The largest of the group started laughing loudly. The others chiming in, except the a younger one slowly following the group.

"Jacar … ie, why do I always find you in such a mess! You miners just don't seem to know how to walk. Maybe that is because you were born in space during a mining run," he laughed. I could tell it was not meant to be a compliment. Jac climbed out of the pile and stood facing his insulator.

"What are you doing here Vargas. You're not supposed to be here anymore. Even your academy has told you this is off limits for you."

"I was just concerned for you. I saw you fall and knew I needed to help you stand because we all know that Hemorrhoid Mining can not stand on its own. That is why your failure of a father has to try to recruit our rejects. And talk about a reject! Look what we have here!" The leader of the group said as he approached me and pulled one of my suspenders out and let it pop back against me with a loud snap.

Jacarie jumped up and started towards Vargas. I had never been in a conflict like this before, but somehow I knew what to do. I held out my arm and stopped Jacarie. He was surprised by my strength. A strength of years of hard work. A courage from knowing who had taught me and the wisdom from where he drew his strength. My people had survived much worse then this and we had learned ways of doing it without retaliation. Now was my turn to honor that, or attempt it. I reached my other hand out towards my assailant.

"Hello. My name is RAM. It is nice to meet you. What was your name again?"

"I am Vargas and you will often feel the pain of my name," he said as he reached out to take my hand. I could feel him start to twist my arm and squeeze my hand in an attempt to make me feel the threatened pain instantly. I looked at him and his friends and smiled. He had no idea that I had spent years with reins wrapped around my hands pulled tightly. He also did not know I had years of squeezing tightly on reins to control horses eight times the size of him. I started to squeeze. In a second, I could see the surprise and change in his face. Within seconds, his body started to respond to the tightening grip. I continued to smile as his knees started to buckle. His head jerked around to his friends.

"Red Wing, attack!" He yelled with pain and anger in his voice. Two of the three moved forward. The youngest one lagging behind uncommitted.

"Not so quick," Jac said as he pushed a couple buttons on his armband. Immediately drones started to lift up and hover, " … , or you will feel my RED STING! These are K11 attack drones equipped with lasers. I press one more button and they will fire at anything red. So take another step because I want to test my new upclassed cl 2 pulse lasers," Jac said as he moved his finger to the flashing red light on his armband.

The two approaching Red Wings froze, looked at each other and then at their own red shirts, at Vargas in his red shirt, then turned and ran. The one that was lagging, stood to watch. "Come on Pro. Let's get out of here!" yelled the leading Red Wing running. The lagger, smiled, nodded ever so slightly in my direction then turned and left with his companions.

I eased up my grip as I matched the pressure being exerted on me. Vargas seemed to have little strength left, so I released his hand. I looked him in the eyes waiting for his next move. He had a very puzzled look and then looked past me to the hovering drones.

"This is not over yet, Jacar … ie!" He stated it as it was an insult. Jac did not react or flinch. He kept his finger on the pulsing red button.

"Well, I hope to meet you again soon, Varg … ie," I responded more to fill the dead air. At that, Jac started to laugh. He almost fell down he was laughing so hard. I did notice that his finger never wavered from the button in all his laughing.

"Yea, Vargie! It is great to see you, Vargie. I hope you stop back by so I can test my drones again, Vargie!" He burst into laughter again. Vargas' face turned almost as red as his shirt with anger pasted all over it, yet, he made no movement towards us again. He slowly walked back then turned and, as best he could, gathered himself, straightened his uniform and walked around the corner yelling at his retreating Red Wing.

Jac pushed another button and the drones settled to the ground. Still laughing, he slapped me on the back.

"I think we are going to be good friends," he said as he waved me back into the building.

"Jac, would you have really hurt them? That was not worth taking a life for some small insult," I asked saddened as I thought about the events.

"Nah. They were just core sampling probes. Wouldn't have hurt unless they bummed them in the head. Those military are too dumb to know the difference though. They think everything is a weapon, so I just let them think that."

"You lied!?" I asked out of shock and confusion. My people did not lie. We would not even take oaths because we feel it would suggest we were not telling the truth at other times. So committed to honesty because we see it as a reflection of the Almighty, who is the author of all truths. I was not accustomed to dishonesty. Jac just shrugged and laughed.

"I will honestly never call him Vargas again," he said as he burst into laughter again. We walked back into the main office where Levi and Jacar seemed to be finishing up some agreement. Jacar watched Jacarie laugh and smiled with a satisfaction past the event unfolding.

"I think this is going to work out well, "Jacar stated to Levi. "Bring him back next week ready to stay for a while. We will start his training. His neural pathways are not wired as most because of his upbringing. It will take longer to get him able to pilot, but we will not quit until we do," Jacar stated as he slapped me on the back similar to how Jacarie had done. Jac smiled and nodded. Jacar reached out and slapped Jacarie on the back then gave him a gentle hug. I could sense I was going to be in for some interesting times, but I could also tell I was in a good place with good people. I looked at Levi, and I could tell he sensed that too.

All the sudden my mind flashed to Esther. How would we ever tell her? I walked over, took Levi's hand and squeezed it gently. We said our parting words. Jacar had lined up a fellow miner to shuttle us back to Ceres. We returned with little talking. I knew our biggest fight was coming as we would have to face Esther. Now I was getting scared.

Hey, i guessed right that jacarie would be in this one
joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.

Officially the 12980th registered user, ~158th registered forum account.

Discoverer of Nexus

So far has made a total of: ~5 quitting threads and counting!
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Vargie!!! Lolololol awesome stuff.... :lol:
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:10 am

Agamemnon wrote:Vargie!!! Lolololol awesome stuff.... :lol:

There really is a Vargus. He and Jac went at each other a lot. I did nick name him Vargie. Pro does often sit back and watch. I had a LOT of fun writing this chapter.
Check out RAM Memories.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Postby jam » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 am

I do like this series.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:39 am

I feel another chapter coming soon. I think some time this week. I gots lots of backstory to drag out. Not sure if it will be next chapter, most likely the one after next.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Two weeks later, Jacar got up from the breakfast table, looked at me and smiled. "Today you start your training RAM. You look …um … good in your new clothes." I could tell he wanted to say normal, but stopped himself as he wiped his mouth with a towel. "We will test your neural pathways today. We need to verify that you will be as capable of warp and jump travel as anyone else. The simulator outside is a simple test. We will test a lot deeper today." He smiled when he said that. I sense he enjoyed the role of teacher. Unlike others, we Amish were used to human teachers. All the sudden, my expression changed. Jacar could see pain and fear written across my face. "You do not need to be afraid. It is painless. It will just test your natural abilities today." He looked at me a little longer. "It is something else, isn't it?"

"I am sorry, sir. I will be okay." I looked down at my clothes and attempted to adjust them as I saw Jacarie do often. This is the day I realized I was no longer Amish. I had never really been one, but it was all I knew. Today, I felt homeless and alone.

"Come on, RAM," Jacarie said as he grabbed my arm acting like he did not notice anything. "Today you become part of the Hemirodi Mining family. You are one of us now. I got your back." Jacarie said knowing what was going on, but acting like he didn't. I glanced at Jacar. I could see him smile and nodded for me to go along.

Jacarie lead me to a device very similar to the test station outside that I had used. "This will test your ability to interface with the warp and Hyperjump modules. Unlike the other ship systems, they have nothing to activate them. They tap directly into on Alpha wave patterns. This is how we work them. We basically think what we want and they respond. There is so much computation and calculation in either of these things that there is no way for transfer the data or engage the systems without a direct neural link. This is why only a few can actually pilot these systems. I hear they are working on ways to improve the interfaces and allow more to use them, but until then, only people who have certain 'projecting' alpha waves can pilot these ships. Since most of the rest of the civilization relies on gate travel, it is not really a high demand trait unless you live on the outskirts of UN space," Jacarie explained.

"That is correct Jacarie," Jacar reenforced as he walked up behind him. "The UNCA is not too motivated to improve these devices at present either. So this leaves the further out systems with a challenge of finding enough pilots to handle the warping and jumping needed. Any system not gated has to relay on the few pilots they can find to help move all their production to market. There are also very rich asteroid fields in ungated systems that can yield very large amounts of materials along with some very rare minerals that are very hard to find. Well, that is enough talk. Let's start the simulation and see how our new family member does."

I followed Jacarie's instructions and placed my forehead on the simulator. Soon I was piloting a small ship. Jacarie told me to warp to the gate in the simulation. He instructed me to concentrate and think and sense the ship responding. After a several long minutes and much guiding and encouragement, I could slowly start to feel the ship responding to my thoughts. Soon, the warp engines charged and I could feel the ship lurking forward. As the scene around me distorted and blurred, I could see the gate getting closer. In a few seconds, the ship stopped at the gate. I pulled my head back from the simulator and looked at Jacar. He had a relieved smile on his face and slapped my back with a little overly excited smack.

"Wonderful!" Jacar exploded. "You will make a fine pilot with a little work and training. Now stick your head back in there and activate the Hyperjump drive. We don't need a stinking gate. We are Hemirodi Mining!" He roared with a little laughter included. I could sense some relief and hope in his voice I had not heard before.

With Jacarie's guidance, I could soon sense the Hyperdrive interface. I called up the Sector Map and picked a planet to jump to. All at once, I saw Ceres. I stared at it in the map. Jac called to me and reminded me to plot the course and engage what he called the HD. I learned that this meant Hyperdrive. At the moment, all I wanted was to return home. I just wanted to do was see Levi and Esther. While the Hemirodi's were very nice and I enjoyed being with them, I was a child away from all I knew in life. I longed to see them and be with them. My sole ached to be with them again. My desire was so strong that the HD immediately fired and I jumped so fast that I thought I had done something wrong. It took minutes to learn the warp system. This was seconds to fire the HD. I arrived in the Ceres system and I could see the space station and the planet ahead. I pulled my head back from the simulator with a tear emerging from my eye. I could see a very surprised look in both my instructors.

"Wow," Jacar exclaimed. " I was a little concerned with the length of time it took you to warp, but I am totally surprised at how fast you activated the HD. Most take a lot more time. It takes a little more neural activity to actually activate the jump systems. I have never seen anyone fire them so fast without a lot of experience and training."

"Yea, RAM, how did you do that?" ask Jacarie a little impressed.

"I don't know for sure. I just saw Ceres and I am missing my parents so much I just wanted to go there."

"Well, now you know what it takes to activate these drives. I want you and Jacarie to work the simulators for the rest of this week. After that, we will go out and test you in a live ship, and we might just take a trip to Ceres," Jacar seemingly understanding my sadness.

Over the next week, Jac and I trained and actually seemed to make a good team. We could almost anticipate each others moves. Mining came as second nature to Jac. It was a little harder for me, but I soon found that we could "farm" asteroids. Pick out the junk, and let the good rocks slowly blend and merge together. As they did, we could increase our yields. Jac told me that Hemirodi Mining had developed some "tricks" that really increased yield. He said I would learn them soon enough. He liked to know more than me, but loved to share what he did know. One thing I did notice was that the patience I learned from Levi and Esther seemed to be a trait that Jac did not have. I think that was one reason we did work together so well. We both used our strengths.

The last night after a very successful week of training, Jacar sat sipping a drink. He had a very serious look on his face. Jac and I could both sense something was wrong. After supper, Jacar seemed to decide it was time to teach us something else. Little did he know he would start to fill in some of my history. Little did I know at the time this was happening either.

"Boys, I need to teach you more than just the mechanics of mining and trade. I can see you are doing well, extremely well, in that area. To be honest, I am surprised, well, not surprised totally knowing Jac, but surprised you two are doing so well together. RAM, you and Jac really seem to compliment each other. I hope this continues. You both need someone you can trust and count on as I share this next bit of 'education' with you."

"First, you need to know a little history. Yes, you can read all about history in your UN education modules. What I want to share with you is a perspective on history. You may see and experience the side effects of this history soon enough."

"The Apollo Sector is named after Jonathan Apollo. He was an explorer and a great entrepreneur. He traveled all the way out to the Apollo Sector, of which it carries his name, many years ago. We are very far from Earth. Yes, we can travel there and back easily with Quadrant Gates at present, but they did not exist when Jonathan explored. He literally jumped from system to system for years to finally find this sector. This sector is so rich in resources, that he decided to colonize it. It took the rest of his life to shape and create the local gate systems and to terraform the Inner9 planets. He was a visionary and did many great things."

"His daughter, Vestra, of whom the system Vestra was named for, took over when he died. She continued with the vision of the Apollo sector. It was Vestra that coordinated the Quadrant gates and oversaw their build. Before that, it took months to get materials to and from Earth through the old gate system. Once the Quadrant gates were built, they connected us to Earth with a few jumps, each gate being over 10,000 light years away from each other. She also made sure each of the Inner9 systems that were terraformed had a strong Space Station for trade. Without Vestra, I doubt the Apollo Sector would have been as balanced and productive."

"All of this, you can learn in your ED modules. What I share from here will NOT be included in your UN training. Vestra had one son. His name is Quintan. He took over the Apollo Corporation 20 years ago. He is not like Jonathan or Vestra. He decided he did not like it way out here. He liked politics instead of production. He is little concerned with the life we have here. He spends most of his time back on Earth wooing the UN government officials. He is corrupt and has been taking money that is supposed to be used for Apollo Sector and pocketing it. Our old gate system was supposed to be upgraded. The United Nations, of which the UNCA answers to, supplied credits to upgrade all our existing gates to the new style quadrant gates. He has not upgraded a single gate. Our gate system, although functional, does not allow the constant open state. It does not allow for instant communication like the quadrant gates. Quintan makes sure all materials has to go through Apollo Corporation. The only markets to sell to are the Local Markets which are all controlled by Apollo Corp. This is not how things used to be. Apollo Sector, once a bright light on the edge of UN known space has become a place of corruption. A few have tried to get this data back to Earth. Each time Quintan Apollo has found out about it and stopped them. He puts bounties out on any he suspects. He claims they are smugglers, but in reality, they are just trying to smuggle information back to the UN. He controls the quadrant gate link back to Earth. He makes sure no data is passed that he has not approved. Those who try to use the quadrant gates have to go through a vetting process to make sure they are not "terrorists." This allows Apollo to keep anyone who might expose his actions from traveling to Earth. It would take months, if not years of solid travel without the quadrant gates for anyone to get to Earth. The Apollo name is so respected at the UN that the only way to break his stronghold is to get concrete evidence back to Earth. No one has been able to do it so far."

"This brings us to present day. Apollo Corp controls things. Jonathan Apollo controls everything within Apollo Corp and Apollo government. We understand that. I wish it was different. but we work within the system we have. Some have tried to contact the UNCA administrators. Quintan has bought a few off. He also has a private group of mercenaries who dress as UNCA that does his dirty work. Many are afraid that any attempt to contact the UN through the UNCA will alert the Apollo mercenaries. It is also rumored that Quintan allows the pirates of the area to flourish because he also pays them to attack anyone who he sees as a threat. Hemirodi Mining has felt that sting in a big way. It is one of the reasons why we are struggling as much today. Without paying "protection" to Apollo Corp, the pirates always seem to know where we are farming our asteroid fields and they raid them, taking all the precious rocks we have been preparing for harvest. While the UNCA does not target us, it has been told we may be terrorist sympathizers and they will not assist us in defense of our materials."

"This is one reason why the two of you need to count on each other and trust each other. There will be a time that you will have to fight for each other."

Those words hit hard. My whole life I have been taught not to fight and to passively avoid conflict. Jacar will be expecting me to fight. How can I do this and still hold true to Levi and Esther? The excitement and joy I experienced the past week working with Jacarie seemed to dim as I thought over what Jacar just shared.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

davh62

Rank

Captain

Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:41 pm

looking forward to mooaarrr parts. Plz write faster :lol:
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Provision-Senator of Barons Rest-Senator of Menzel3-Senator of Titan
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Over the next two EC, Jac and I made a great mining team. Jacar always stayed with us, but was giving us more and more room to work. This day was a little different. Daryen Graye was piloting the carrier we were on. Daryen was just a few EC older than us, but one of those people that you could always depend on. We had our two old Skua Bombers. These ships were so old that few used them anymore. Sometimes, I wondered if they would even get us back to the carrier, but they always did. Jac was good at keeping them flying, but not smelling. We did get used to the smell and grew to ignore it, mostly. I often thought Jac kept them smelling so no one else would mess with "his" ships. He was always testing out new and different configurations of the modules. He was able to get these Skuas to do things they were never intended to do. Today, he said they were outfitted for solo mining and grinned. Not sure what that meant completely, but I knew Jac did and I was not too worried.

We finished our jump into the system. It was about 30 light years from Apollo. Not too far, but far enough that the rarer rocks should still be plentiful. Jac and I got in our Skuas and launched. We engaged our warp drives almost in sync and arrived at the same time in the asteroid field. We could see rocks all around. Our mining scanners were already on and instantly, rocks containing useful materials started to be tagged on the view screen.

"You get the Ang, I'll get the Col," Jac communicated on the COMM. We knew not to mention our location on the COMM. Too many would be listening. We often used code to identify different systems. Openly announcing where you were often made the field loose all its precious rocks. Others could hear and many enjoyed raiding fields miners worked. They knew we charted where the good fields were. If a mining company was working the field, it was a good bet it was a strong field.

A few hours passed and we had already hauled multiple loads back to the carrier. As we headed out for another load, the pilot called out. "Jac, a call just came in, we need to jump out. Another mining crew carrier drive went down. I need to transport them. Dock and lets go."

"Negative, Daryen," Jac responded. "Head out and get the crew. RAM and I will pull some soil samples while you are gone. This is a quiet system and we are fine. Ships working well. It will only take you 2 hours. We can easily sample each object here."

Daryen Graye was only a few years older than us. It was easy for Jac to convince him to let us do lots of crazy things. I had a feeling this was going to be another one of those times.

"Affirmative. Will return in 2 hours. You two stay out of trouble or Jacar will have my hide!"

"Not a problem. Doesn't seem to be anything real exciting here. We will be fine," Jac said. I could read into his words that he knew something we did not, but that was Jac. He always seemed to.

"RAM, I'll head to the rocky planet right below the field here. This will be our first planet to sample. Who knows. Maybe we will find some gems!" Jac was always talking about finding gems. I had a filling we would spend a lot of time looking for nothing, but I didn't mind too much. It was always fun exploring. Some paid big bounties if you found rare planet types. We never collected. We always gave our info to Jacar. I knew Hemirodi Mining needed it much more than I did.

I saw a familiar flash and knew it was the carrier jumping out of system. You never felt really alone. The COMMs always kept you connected. So if something bad happened, we could easily call for help. I watched Jac warp to planet level. I hit my thrusters and accelerated out of the asteroid field to get a better look at the planet below. I could see water, atmosphere, and multiple craters. Jac knew this would be a good planet to sample. I suspected he had been wanting to pull a sample the whole time we were mining. I decelerated and slowly drifted to the edge of the field. I leaned back and was just enjoying the view. I watched Jac's Skua disappear into the clouds. I knew I had a couple of minutes before he would land. My mind started to drift as I imagined a fertile planet with many Amish working it as their own. One day, I would find a way to find my people their own planet. One we could live in peace. The scene ahead of me would be very similar to the one I would find for them. Maybe then they would finally accept me and allow me to be a part of them.

All the sudden, I saw a red flash. I felt a tremor through the ship. I glanced up and saw I had hull damage! Something was wrong. Instantly, the Skua defense systems turned on. It showed a ship of some kind in new display that appeared. I had never seen this display and I had no idea what it meant. I sat up and grabbed the console, yet I had no idea what to do.

"JAC! Help! There is some ship up here! I think I just got shot!" I yelled on the COMM.

"RAM, hit your Autopilot and get back in the asteroid field. What does the targeting display say?"

"The what say?" I looked around wondering what he was talking about.

"Upper right. It identifies the ship. I am on the planet. Heading back to the ship. Will be there in minutes. HIDE!" Jac responded.

"It says Drone," I said relaxing a bit as I turned my ship and could see it fully in my view screen.

"GREAT! Just shot it! Blast it out of space!" Jac responded. I could sense his concern turned to excitement instantly.

I can't Jac," I responded confused.

"RAM, would you quit with your pacisfist stuff. It is unmanned. Just a machine. You can blast it easily!" Jac admonished.

"No, I CAN'T Jac," I responded out of frustration.

"YES you can. Get it lined up in the targeting recticle and blast it! It will be your first kill!" he screamed.

"Jac, I really CAN'T."

"RAM, You CAN. I will be there to back you up. You know I always got your back. FIRE!"

"Jac, I CAN'T. I don't know HOW! I didn't even know I could fire from this ship."

"I put in axial lasers before we left. I guess I forgot to tell you. Line up on that drone and look on the console. Do you see that big X?" I could hear laughter through all the words Jac was responding with.

"I am lining it up and I see the big X. I thought that was an eject button or something," I replied as I worked to move the ship with one hand and work the COMMS with the other.

"Well, HIT IT!" Jac yelled seemingly totally frustrated. I actually think he was more frustrated that I was the one targeting the drone instead of being frustrated at my ignorance. At least that is what I told myself.

I hit the X and a beam pulsed from my ship and hit the drone as it was spinning. I could see in the targeting display that there was now a red section on one side.

"Some of it turned red on the display, Jac. Is that good or bad?" I asked as I tried to keep it targeted.

"That is good. Means you hit it! Just act like it is an asteroid and keep it targeted and keep blasting it! You are doing good," Jac said as encouragingly as possible. I could really hear the frustration in his voice that he was not there blasting it also.

"Jac, do you need me to jump back," called out Daryen, a reminder that COMMs were totally open to everything you say.

"No, DG. We got this. If RAM quits whining and starts shooting, it will probably be gone before I can even get to him," Jac blurted out for all to hear.

That did the trick. I got focused and a little annoyed. I aimed and started to shoot. One shot after another landed. I could see that the drone was rotating so I could not concentrate on on side as easily. I started to time my shots and soon was able to continue to hit the red side. Soon, I was seeing parts fly off the drone. After a few more timed shots, and to my sheer enjoyment right as Jac arrived, I hit it one last time and it exploded.

"Target destroyed!" I called over the COMM. My first kill. For some reason, it did not feel that good. Jac, flew next to me and bumped me with his ship. We did this often just for fun, but I knew Jac did it this time as a reassurance to me.

"You did good. That was a pirate drone. I suspect this is why we were loosing all our good roids from here." Jac always liked calling them asteroids roids. I just called them rocks. Any farmer knows they are just big rocks that have to be cleared to get a good crop. "You okay?" he asked after a minute.

"Yea. Just need to relax a little," I responded as I was shaking my hands a little to get the blood circulating again.

"Come on, Let's both go down to the next planet and sample it. The last one was junk. Maybe you are the lucky one today and we can find something good on the next one." He bumped me again and hit his thrusters. I slowly turned and followed him. I didn't feel very lucky, but I did feel a little older now. This is when I really felt my childhood slip away. I also felt another separation from my old life. Maybe I needed to let go even more.

Then I saw my opportunity. Jac had turned off his thrusters to make sure I was coming. I knew he would not leave me again today. I saw him tap his Grav Anchor as the ship slowed quickly. I reached up, and locked my thrusters on and flew past him. As I did, I did a quick barrel roll and left him staring at my thrusters.

"Heading to next rocky planet on the Autopilot. Catch me if you can," I said as I engaged the warp drive. I knew he would only be a second behind me, but I also knew he would not even try to close that gap today.
Check out RAM Memories.
PreviousNext