User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

RAM Memories

Postby rmartz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:05 pm

"I have to get back to Earth. I HAVE to tell them," she whispered as she looked out of the barn. I could smell the animals and felt the soft straw under my small body. I looked at her face as she looked back with love in her eyes. Her light brown hair tied back and a forced smile just for me. Her head shot back to the crack in the barn as I could hear large vehicles approach. "Stay here and keep quiet. You will be safe," she whispered as she buried something, darted out the back door, and ran across the open field.

I buried my small body in the straw as I heard large noises and many voices yelling. I watched through the open door as she ran and the grain waved and parted as she passed through it. I heard a short blast and watched her fall. I froze in fear. I watched several men in dark uniforms pick her up, shackle her and drag her away. Voices kept shouting. I sank deeper in the straw. Soon, everything was quiet. I cried silently until I fell asleep.

A man with a long beard picked me up. He was so strong yet a kindness was in his face. He brushed off the hay and stood me on my feet. He slowly knelt down and stared at me, then turned and looked into the field where the grain was still matted down from the recent struggle. We both stared for what seemed like hours, but was just moments. He slowly turned back to me and stood up.

"Come with me little one. We will see what Esther has to say about this." I turned to run, but his strong yet gentle hand took mine and we just started to walk. He patted a few animals as we walked through the barn and out the door. We walked to the house. As the door opened, I could smell food. I heard the voice of an angel singing. "Esther, come quick. Look what I found." The singing stopped as the angel walked into the room.

I looked up and saw her face. There was only a moment of surprise, a glance at the man, then her face changed to one of pure love. She knelt down, brushed my hair with her hand while the other hand pulled a towel from seemingly out of the air to wipe my face. "Levi, supper is ready and who might you be my little guest?"

Who was I? My mother always called me peanut. Was that my name? I just stared as any other 3 year old would do. This was the day I lost my mother and met my parents. No words could speak what was inside of me.

They pulled another chair up and set a place for me to eat. It seemed they had been expecting me because everything was ready and I was sitting and ready to eat. I was so hungry and thirsty. I had not eaten all day. I remember hiding and moving from place to place, but we had no food and barely anything to drink. Now, in front of me was so much food. The lady cut things just my size. She poured a cool glass of water and quickly found a straw. They had sat me down between them. I started to eat. The man gently grasped my hand on one side and the lady grasped my other. I was confused and scared. Why give me food and not let me eat.

"We must thank the Almighty first, lmy little friend," He said calmy as he and the lady started to sing. I could not understand it at the time, but later I learned to love this time almost more then the food. It was not the case this day. Soon the beautiful singing ended and they released my hands. "Eat all you want, but eat slowly. We do not want to overload your small belly," the lady stated so kindly that I could not do anything but obey.

Next I remember bath time. Esther filled a tub and took my dirty clothes off and dipped me into the warm soothing water.

"Levi, come see," she called out in surprise as she looked at my undergarments. "These are hand stitched. She was one of us at some time. Look at the way she made the letters. This is our way. She was once one of us. These are his initials. R. A. M. Are you a ram, little one?" Her voice was so gentle and calm. Although I did not really understand what she said, I looked up and smiled. The first smile I remembering having in days. "Well, RAM it is then. Now we know what to call you," she said as she quickly washed and packed away this last reminder of my former life.

The bath did its job of getting me clean and sleepy. The man picked me up and carried me. His arms were strong, but so comforting around me. He laid me into a bed next to theirs and he sat down on the other bed and started to sing. His voice was deep but soft. A voice I have longed to hear many years past. I soon feel asleep.

These are my first memories. I have become haunted by them of late. I dream of them at night. Something is calling me to remember. Something is calling me to act. As an adult, I recognize the uniforms of the men who took my mother. UNCA. I also recognize her clothes as a trader. According the Levi, no one claimed to know anything about the raid. Levi said the more he pressed about it, the more he sensed he better leave it alone and no one was interested in hearing about about some lost, abandoned child. Levi said he and Esther had been praying for years and knew the Almighty would bring them a child. They know I was their answer. Most Amish have many children, but they were not so blessed. They say they were called to a special blessing in being there for me. The Almighty was doing something and they were willing to serve.

Memories. To many they are blessings. For me, they haunt me. Who am I? What did my mother have to tell? Did she make it to Earth? Where is Earth? I will find it and I will find her or find out about her. She did not abandon me. She saved me. She picked the place to leave me where she know I would be safe. I will use my skills, my energy and my massing wealth to find out these answers. Mother, I am coming for you. It may take some time, but fear not. I WILL find Earth and I will find answers. Levi and Esther, I will do it in the ways you taught me. I will honor the Almighty and your memories too.

There must be more hidden in my memories. As I reflect, I hope this turmoil I find within myself to calm. Memories. They hold the secret to who I am and who I have become. I hope they will reveal insights into the answers I seek.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Re: RAM Memories

Postby rmartz » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:47 am

"We do not work the land, we work with the land," Levi stated as he knelt down and took a handful of broken ground and smelled it as one would smell a sweet flower. "The Almighty blesses those who work hard, but do not over work the land. The land, like us needs to rest. The Almighty has made it so we actually increase our blessings and abundance when we let the land rest as we rest once in seven."
I was seven EC (Earth Cycles) and Levi decided it was time for me to drive the team. Levi and I hitched the harnesses to the draft horses. I looked over into the field across the way. They had a plow hovering over the land beaming lines of light into the soil. You could feel the ground rumble and shake from this massive piece of machinery.

"The English overwork the ground." Anyone not Amish was called English. I am not sure what that is and Levi said it was such an old term that they had lost the history of it. "They do this to force the ground to increase the production. They fatigue it and it requires more and more supplements to keep to the production level they want. We Amish care and honor the soil the Almighty has created. Here on Ceres, like the old Earth, the ground wants to be tilled. It wants to be worked with. If you overwork it, it tires and will give out soon. Those who use such technology, " Levi casually pointed to the plow hovering and beaming into the ground, " only do it to gain wealth and power. We understand that the Almighty is the only One with true power and we along with the land are the servants. So we work with the land so it will be a blessing to us and our children …" Levi stopped and looked at me. A sadness fell on his face I had seldom seen before.

"My RAM, you know how much Esther and I love you, yes?" I nodded. "You also know we are people of the Truth. We always speak truth to honor the Almighty because the Almighty commands us to speak the truth always." I nodded again. " Esther and I will always love you and we will always be your family, but we also know that the Almighty brought you to us from out of the world and one day, we will have to return you to the world. It will be hard for you now and much harder later. Hard now, because we will teach you our ways and care for you, but you will always feel like an outsider. You will never really become part of our Orgnug, our church. This is not because we do not want you. You must always remember this. It is because the Almighty has a different purpose for you."

"But I want to stay with you," I said with a passion that startled Levi. Once again, I saw that smile on his bearded face that I remembered from that first day. He took me into his arms and held me tighter then ever before.

"I will never let go of you in my heart. You will always me my special blessing. One that is even better than a child of my own. You are a blessing from the Almighty. You have much to do in this world. I will teach you all I can and teach you the importance of kindness and hard work. I will allow you to be educated in ways our people do not. All this is for a purpose."

"What is my purpose, Levi? Who am I?" I asked just starting to realize that I was different from the other children in our community.

"The Almighty will reveal that when the time comes. Right now, your purpose is to learn our ways of compassion and work. Today, your purpose is to plow this field," he ended with a pat on the back and a big smile as he handed the reigns of his favorite Belgium draft horses to me. "Today, you take your first step into manhood. Few at seven can handle the reigns as you. Today, I will stay at home while you go work with the land."

My eyes widened. I looked at him with surprise. Seldom did a child handle the plow. I could see the confidence and trust Levi had for me. I knew that day, I would do anything to respect that honor. I knew that day that I was different, but that was not always a bad thing. It had its advantages. I cracked the reigns on the hunches of the horses and we moved forward in the field working with the land. I can still remember the smell and the feeling of the broken ground under my feet. I did have a purpose, but like a field to be plowed, all you can see is to the end of the line, then you must turn to see to the end of the next line. I decided to just accept the line I was in and not worry about what was in the next line until I got there. As I plowed, I looked over at the plow hovering. I saw a marking on the side. It reminded me of something. A faint memory.

As I finished my first line and turned the horses for the next, the memory of the insignia of the UNCA returned. It was the same as those who came for my mother. I would see it from time to time when we left our community and went to the big city. It was not often I saw it so close to home. I watched and waited. No armed soldiers got out. It was empty. Levi told me later it was a robot. An automated piece of machinery that farmed large sections of land in place of people. He would teach me how they overworked the land and would show me that breaking up the farmed land and putting homes in between would actually increase the output and allow us to work with the land in more efficient ways. Levi said it was because the Almighty wanted us to stay close to the land. It made sense to me. The closer I got to the land, the more I wanted to work with it.

Yet, somehow I knew that this was not my ultimate purpose, but it was my purpose that day, so I plowed and every pass I took I could see Levi more and more pleased. That night at meeting, I could hear him bellow to the others of my work in the field. Pride is looked down on and others frowned a little as Levi boasted. Levi just stated he was just proclaiming the blessings of the Almighty who had brought him such a hard and capable worker. My purpose that night was to bring a joy to Levi and Esther as they felt the joy of having a child, if even for a little while.
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Good stuff, few typos here n there but not enough to detract from the story line....freckin' amish in Ceres...that's all we need... Peanut... :roll: :D
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 pm

"It is too soon, " Esther said with more anger and fear then I had ever heard from her. I was in another room, but quietly slipped closer to the doorway so I could hear. "He is not ready. He is just a boy."

"He is 13," Levi replied in his calm but strong voice. "In the fall, he will be attending the colony school. You know we do not educate past this age. He is not accepted here and will never be part of our settlement. He has to learn the ways of his world.. It is time." Levi reached over to Esther and held her in his strong arms while she quietly cried. I had never seen Esther like this. What was she upset about? What was she afraid of? What was it time for? I heard Levi walking my way and I suspected I would find out shortly. I vaulted to the chair and did my best to look busy and unaware.

As Levi walked in, he just looked over and smiled. Now I was totally confused. What would make Esther cry and Levi smile? "Come, sit with me," Levi calmly stated. "You do not have to look busy. I know you were listening." Somehow he always knew what I was doing. Always aware, yet seldom reacting. As I looked into his eyes, I could see that was about to change. There was a determined, yet sad look in his eyes.

"RAM, we are going to take a little trip, you and I." Thoughts of Abraham and Isaac flashed into my mind. No, this could not be it, could it? Was I RAM or THE ram? Levi continued and I tried hard to focus and push back those thoughts. "I have sold our harvest of 20 tonnes to a mining company in Vulcan. You and I will make the journey to deliver it." Levi smiled again, stood, and patted me on the back. "We will go to sleep early tonight, we have a long trip in the morrow to the starport where we will find someone to transport us and our cargo." We all finished our evening chores with very little conversation. Esther was not happy, but kept her thoughts to herself. At bedtime, after our prayers, she came and hugged me in a way that said something was about to change. She slowly released me, brushed my hair back and smiled. I could see pride but sorrow in the same smile.

"You have grown so much. I can still remember that first day. The day the Almighty brought me my heart's desire. The old wisdom tells us 'Delight yourself in the Almighty, and he will give you the desires of your heart.' He has done that with me when you were brought to us. You will be taking a trip tomorrow. It may seem like a simple trip to others, but for you it will mark the time I have to face letting you go. Levi is right, but I do not like it. Although you were born to another, you have been and always will be my son. The Almighty teaches us that family are the ones who do His will. You will always do the will of the Almighty. It is written in your heart. You have a special task. We have known this for many years. We do not know what that task is, but the Almighty has a plan and you have a place in it. The Almighty never lets us know what our tasks are until afterwards. It is a way we show trust and obedience to Him. So do not search for your task, but search your heart and the Almighty will be there and will bring your the desires that are deep within it. You have also seen the price of service. Our way of life, our faith, our sacrifice has helped teach you. Even on this trip, remember our ways. We live them for a reason. You will soon see why." Esther gave me one last hug and tucked me in. She left quietly and I could hear her crying again in Levi's arms.

"Morning has broken, like the first morning. Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird …" Levi sang as I awoke. The words all too familiar. He tone had an extra intensity this morning. Maybe it was me that felt the intensity, but I could see something in his eyes, yet his smile overpowered any fear I might have been feeling. "Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day," he finished as I sat to eat. Soon he lined out our plans for the day. He had hired a hauler to take us to the spaceport. There we would barter and find a pilot to fly us to Vulcan to sell our harvest.

The ride to the spaceport was uneventful, but I could feel the excitement in myself and the tension in Levi. As I looked and marveled at the many ships and massive machines that made the spaceport function, Levi sat expressionless. It was though he did not want his impressions and feelings to affect mine. This was my time. My experience and he was only there to support me as I experienced it.

Slowly we made our way to the trade station. Pilots and producers gathered and haggled. Laughter and anger could all be heard in the room. "RAM, you will hear words we do not repeat here. If you have not heard Esther or myself use the word, then chances are it is not a word worth using. Best to keep quiet and listen. You will find a lot of information by just listening," Levi explained as he walked to the counter.

"I need transport for 20 tonnes of grain and passage for myself and my boy to Vulcan," Levi announced. Most of the pilots quickly turned and found other customers. "Many do not like dealing with us, "Levi said quietly. "They also do not like taking passengers. Most are honest, but a few will make of with our produce." Levi surveyed the room and his eyes fell upon one lone pilot sitting at a quiet table with a strange dark bottle half empty. Levi warned me with a gesture to be quiet and we walked to the table.

"May we sit, sir?" Levi asked kindly.

"Suit yourself, but get your own bottle," the young pilot muttered.

"Sir, we come to hire, not to drink. I need passage to Vulcan for us and 20 tonnes of grain, " Levi explained in a calm voice.

"Tell it to someone with a working ship. My ladybug is down. Warp Drive is out. No funds to fix it," responded the frustrated pilot. "Should have known a ship on the listed on the Galactic Market would have problems. If I ever catch that little …"

"Sir, we can pay in advance, "Levi interrupted uncharacteristically. The pilot's eyes rose. He stared Levi in the eyes. After a long pause, he glanced at me and asked, "You bringing the runt along too?"

"Yes, it is his first trip off the colony and I want him to experience the outer world," Levi explained. "Name is Levi Martz. This is my boy, RAM. May I have your name, sir?" Levi asked as he extended his hand.

Just call me Johneaux, " the pilot replied as he looked strangley at the extended hand. "Oh, that's right. You people like to have physical contact on deals." Johneaux reached across the table and shook hands with Levi. It seemed the contact instantly changed his whole demeanor. He stood tall and he speech even cleared a little. "Drive is going to cost 400 credits to repair. You have that much?" the pilot asked.

"I will shortly, " stated Levi. he walked to the local market kiosk and I watched him list half of our production. It sold immediately and he walked back to the pilot and holding the credit voucher. I was shocked. Half of our production was gone. We only had 10 tonnes to take now. I was confused. Seldom did Levi make such a foolish trade. He looked at my puzzled look and smiled. He always knew what I was thinking. "This trip is about more than selling produce. The Almighty has provided for this trip. He has also provided a pilot. Few would take us. He needs us as much as we need him. There is something about him that told me he is more than he appears also. He is a good one for you to learn a few things from."

"I have one more requirement for our deal," Levi said to the now smiling pilot. His smile quickly vanished. "I would like for you to show my boy how you pilot as we travel." A puzzled look came on his face. You could tell the request seemed very strange to him.

"I thought you people didn't like our technology?" He asked without even being concerned with his words.

"RAM needs to learn of the things of the world. He will not be a bother and will just listen, " Levi assured him.

"Well, if that is all your conditions, I can deal with it. I thought you were going to ask me not to drink or swear. That would have been a deal breaker there. Dealing with a runt is easy. Any problems and out the airlock!" Johneaux laughed as he swatted me on the back. "It will take an hour to repair the drive and I will be ready to get out of this place. So I will meet you at Dock 57 then. You late, I leave." stated Johneaux as he walked away with a little bounce in his step.

"Some of that was for others to see and hear. It was not intended for us, " Levi whispered as we left the trade station. We found some food, ate and was at Dock 57 with 15 minutes to spare. Levi smiled at Johneaux as he walked up seeing us there ready for departure. The pilot rolled his eyes slightly and gestured for us to get in as he opened the hatch.

Inside the ship was smaller than I expected. I could smell strange odors, none of which was pleasant. I was seated next to Johneaux and Levi strapped in behind us. When it was just us in the ship, Johneaux's tone was much nicer and more relaxed. He almost seemed to be enjoying himself. He started pointing out instruments, and switches. he explained everything he was doing, most of which I did not have the faintest idea what he was saying. Words and terms were flying, some of which were technically descriptive yet some were from frustration.

"I had to patch into the grav generator to help supply power to the warp drive since the regulator is still acting up. That just means stay strapped in, because we will feel some of the G's, "Johneaux stated as he hit the thrusters. Soon we were accelerating and I was being pushed back hard into the seat. I looked over to Johneaux and I could tell he was actually enjoying the sensation. "This is how people used to travel all the time way back before grav gens were standard on all ships. Hope you don't loose your lunch." Instantly the ship was inverted and we were flying upside down. I often wondered years later if that was really a needed action, or if he was just doing it to give me a thrill on my first flight. Either way, Johneaux looked over and could tell I was enjoying it. He smiled and I felt the ship lurch to an even faster acceleration. "Grav Anchor is off. Now we can really move!" he barked as we rocketed forward zooming past ships as they entered the area. I could hear some on the speaker yelling about something, but I did not understand the words completely. I had a feeling they were talking about us.

Soon thrusters were off and he said we were going to warp to the gate. Instantly, the stars and lights outside distorted and without any feeling, we darted forward towards a big ring in space. I looked back at Levi who had his eyes closed and was whispering a silent prayer. I envisioned a field gate, but I soon understood that the big ring was a gate. I could see nothing on the other side besides more space and stars. Why would a big ring be placed out here. As we got closer, I could see lights and some kind of vapor pouring out of the ring. Within minutes, Johneuax aligned us with the ring, and hit a button, As we moved forward, the entire space around us twisted and distorted. Everything was calm inside, but outside everything was bent and turning. Within seconds, everything stopped and as I looked out, I could see a giant planet with colored bands around it. I had seen pictures of the gas giant at Vulcan in school, but to see it in real life was unbelievable. It was so big! It filled the window of our small ship.

Instantly, we lurched forward again accelerating. It was at this time something smelled like it was burning. Smoke slowly rose from panel in front of us. "I will kill that *#&^$#9 son of a # %^$%&& with my bare hands if I ever catch him!" Johneaux yelled as he hit a switch and the fire extinguished. he pulled the panel off and examined the damage. "It is ONLY environmental control and warp drive. We should have just enough oxygen to just get us to Archimedes. I can repair it there, " he said without a ounce of concern but tons of anger in his voice. He slammed the panel back down with a few more choice words and hit the thrusters full force. I had never felt anything like that feeling my entire life. I felt squeezed and almost passed out. As I looked over at Johneaux, I could see the strain on his face, yet under all that, there was still a slight smile. We darted around giant rocks in space everywhere. Some, we passed so close to, I thought for sure we would smash into. Slowly the field cleared and I could see the space station as we zoomed towards it. He grabbed the COMM and stated we had an emergency and needed immediate docking. A response came of confirmation and as we approached, the docks were clear and open. We entered at about the same speed we left the Ceres spaceport. At the last minute, he hit the grav anchor and we slid right into the dock with just a slight bump. I could hear the airlock seal on the hull and Johneaux jumped up and hit the hatch button. As soon as the hatch opened, I could feel the air entering. I had not known how stale the air had gotten until the new air came rushing in.

"I am NOT doing that again! "Johneaux barked. "Your ride is over and I am done. Your cargo will be unloaded and in the hanger." He reached back, pulled a dark bottle from somewhere and headed out the hatch leaving us to find our own way out. As I watched the young pilot walk into the trade station, I could see the same as Levi. There was much more to him than meets the eye. I hoped I would meet him again some day. Then again, maybe I didn't.
Last edited by rmartz on Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Ram or The Ram..lol, nice one...good stuff...Johneaux's character seems dead on...
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Agamemnon wrote:Ram or The Ram..lol, nice one...good stuff.

Thanks. I was not sure how many would even get that reference.

I do have a feeling that Johneaux will show up again. :o
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Scifibookguy

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:46 am

Postby Scifibookguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:00 pm

Good stuff!

It's been three months, where's the next chapter? :)
"There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't."
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:20 pm

Scifibookguy wrote:Good stuff!

It's been three months, where's the next chapter? :)

It is in my head. I will get back to it. Maybe 1-2 weeks. Thanks for the affirmation.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:15 pm

I stared through the clear domes of the dock. I could see ships small and large hovering, entering and exiting. It took me a bit to realize I was breathing while standing on the dock, yet ships were passing in and out of some unseen curtain. You could see a slight glimmer as a ship or dock trolley would pass through. Levi gave me plenty of time to take it all in, then gently tapped me on the shoulder. I immediately took his hand. My head was spinning and I felt out of balance. As we walked, the feeling slowly eased, but did not completely go away. Levi could tell I was struggling walking. He smiled and gripped my hand tighter. "It is the artificial gravity. They keep it less on the dock. Makes it easier to move things around. It will get better when we get inside." We started walking when a dock worker had to honk and yelled for us to move on.

There were large doors that opened into the space station, but we entered through a small dock door. As we entered, a uniformed machine asked for our IDs. Levi pulled out some papers and handed it to the machine.

"This is invalid. Please present standardized UNCA ID … please," the machine said in a voice very close to human sounding.

"This is all the ID we have. Can I speak to an officer … please," responded Levi. I was surprised to hear him speak to the machine like he would talk to a person. Our machines were simple and did not converse. This seemed very strange.

"UNCA Official has been notified. Please wait in the room behind me. You will not be allowed access to any location on this station without proper ID. Any deviation from standard protocol will be met with strong consequences," the machine responded very coldly and firmly. A line lit up on the floor. The machine pointed to the room the line led to. Levi took my hand and walked calmly into the waiting room.

As we entered, I could see a few others waiting. One was wearing the uniform of a trader. I had seen these from time to time and I also saw them at Ceres Spaceport. I saw another woman in what appeared to be military clothing, but it was not UNCA. She had a very irritated look on her face. Levi made sure we sat far away from her. She noticed. Her grimace got worse.

"Just because I am from the Red Zone does not mean I am evil. We just do not think the UNCA should be in control of EVERYTHING. We want to make choices for ourselves. I would think you religious zealots would understand that," she barked with no concern of who heard it or if it would upset anyone.

"My apologies, ma'am," Levi calmy replied. "I did not mean to insult you. This is the boy's first off world experience. His senses are a little overwhelmed. I was just trying to get a quiet place to let him rest and get his bearings about him. my name is Levi. This is my boy, RAM. It is a pleasure to meet you, " Levi said as he stood and approached the woman with his hand outstretched." As he got half a meter from the woman a glowing field around her started to shimmer. Levi's hand hit what seemed an invisible wall and you could hear a moan come from his mouth as he pulled his hand back and started to rub it.

"You fool. Don't you know that all RZ officers wear their body shields on when in uniform? Step back or I will retaliate."

"My apologies, again, ma'am. We are not knowledgeable in the ways of the outer world. My actions were of a friendly gesture and meant as a form of greeting. Our people are peaceful and we do not attack. We know nothing about body shields and little about others customs. That is why we are here. The boy needs to learn," Levi responded speaking as much to himself as to the lady. He stepped back looked at the lady and forced as smile. "My name is Levi. We farm in Ceres and come to sell grain."

The woman looked at Levi's face and seemed to find something that totally changed her demeanor. Levi often had that affect on people. Again today, his kind face warmed another's heart just a little. "I also apologize for being so harsh. We RZ are always on guard when we enter UNCA space. It seems it brings out the worst in us. I am just frustrated because this is my third trip here and I know I will get the same answer. It has set me in a bad mood and I have not even asked yet."

Levi returned to his seat next to me. He shook his hand then rubbed his leg a little. He looked up at the woman across the room and nodded. "We often create what we do not want in life by our attitudes. My people also struggle with this. We work hard to teach our children to keep our minds on simple things that bring joy and peace, yet the reality of the life has a tendency to creep in still." Levi turned and looked at me with the same forced smile on his face.

The lady seemed to understand something I missed. She nodded and responded very openly, "We have been petitioning the UNCA for education modules for a while now. We want to educate our children, but they refuse to release any archived information. They make excuses that accelerated learning can only be done in the academies, but I know that the real reason is they are having trouble finding pilots who have the neural patterns for ship control systems. They are gleaning and finding as many as they can to try to address the overwhelming demand they are facing at present. They are stealing many of our youth who would become pilots for the RZ and indoctrinating them into the UNCA universe."

Levi nodded. "I understand. We are fortunate. None of our children have that ability. The UNCA allow us to educate our own. I think I understand now why they give us permission when the do not to others."

"Fortunately, your son is safe from that," the woman responded causally.

Levi turned and looked at me differently then I had ever seen him look. There was a puzzled, deep stare. He turned back to the lady and asked, "How do they find out if your children have this ... neural condition?"

"There is a machine at the entrance if each academy that tests. It takes 30 seconds and is totally painless. The results are instant." As she finished her sentence, a UNCA official walked up and greeted her. It was easy to tell they knew each other and neither liked the other. They walked off already into their argument.

After a 30 minute wait, another UNCA official walked up. "Are you Levi Martz?" he asked still looking at his tablet.

Levi stood, gestured to me to come along and walked up to the man. I noticed he did not reach out his hand this time. "I am Levi. This is RAM."

"Papers," the official said as he tapped the screen and slid his finger around in strange gestures. Levi opened the documents and went to hand them to the official. The man did not take them. He just scanned them with his device. Within seconds, two small cards popped out of the side of his tablet. He handed both to Levi. "These are good for the next year. Please update them in Ceres yearly so you do not cause us more work. You may enter the station at this time." The man turned and walked away still looking at his tablet.

"Well, lets go RAM. We have things to see and grain to sell," Levi said with his usual smile back on his face. There was something else too, but I did not know at the time. He walked slightly faster than usual too. Maybe it was the lower gravity. I had gotten used to it, but could tell it was not as high as Ceres. More than on the dock for sure, but it felt different. We walked up to the UNCA machine Levi handed me my card and held his up. The machine scanned them both. "Welcome to Archimedes Space Station. You have permission to enter. Please obey all station rules. Failure to do so will have negative consequences. Have a good day."

Levi walked ahead and looked back at the machine then me. "Well, that was the easy part. Let us go and see what this place has for food, then we will sell our grain. Come on RAM. We have one other place to stop before we eat." I had to almost run to catch up to Levi. He glanced at a map and pointed. "There. We are heading there." By the time I got to the map, Levi had started forward. I had no idea where were headed. I just followed along overwhelmed with sites, sounds, and smells totally alien to me.
Check out RAM Memories.
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:29 pm

I just followed along overwhelmed with sites, sounds, and smells totally alien to me.

...an UNCA Beuracracy...lololol You crazy amish and your actual physical paper documents....loved that bit with the personal shield too...good stuff...keep 'em comin'

:D
Next