User

TacticalZombeh

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:44 am

First Impressions from a new player

Postby TacticalZombeh » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:08 am

The title is sort of misleading since I haven't been able to play yet.
First off, the whole registration process is.... convoluted.

Second:
I managed to get registered and start up the Steam version of the game. Tried to login and after hitting the login button.. nothing.
Waited five minutes, still nothing. Exited the game. Now it won't start because the game process is still running. Trying to end it from Task Manager nets me a "Operation could not be completed. Access is denied. Yes, I have admin permissions so that's not the problem.
Steam won't exit because Ascent is still running, so I have to reboot to end it.

So I login from the browser and either I've tried this game before, or something's just not right. I have 48k credits, carrying 30 tons of mining robots and 10 tons of farming robots in a 20 ton cargo bay Sparrow.

Lol I'm tired and should just go to bed.

Why won't the steam version work right?
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: First Impressions from a new player

Postby rmartz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:36 am

TacticalZombeh wrote:The title is sort of misleading since I haven't been able to play yet.
First off, the whole registration process is.... convoluted.

Second:
I managed to get registered and start up the Steam version of the game. Tried to login and after hitting the login button.. nothing.
Waited five minutes, still nothing. Exited the game. Now it won't start because the game process is still running. Trying to end it from Task Manager nets me a "Operation could not be completed. Access is denied. Yes, I have admin permissions so that's not the problem.
Steam won't exit because Ascent is still running, so I have to reboot to end it.

So I login from the browser and either I've tried this game before, or something's just not right. I have 48k credits, carrying 30 tons of mining robots and 10 tons of farming robots in a 20 ton cargo bay Sparrow.

Lol I'm tired and should just go to bed.

Why won't the steam version work right?

Did the reinstall change anything?
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

TacticalZombeh

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:44 am

Postby TacticalZombeh » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:15 pm

I was grumpy last night so I went to bed lol.

But reinstalled it a few minutes ago and I'm in game!
And yea, even after watching a dozen of Waervyn's videos and not realizing it, once I got in game and took a first hand look I realized I had played this game for a day or so a long time ago. Couldn't tell you how long ago, but my Sparrow having 40 tons of cargo in a 20 ton cargo bay might indicate, if cargo cap had been balanced at some point in time.

Thanks to everyone in game last night trying to help out!
no avatar
User

SMedium

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Postby SMedium » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 pm

My 1st impressions of the game was kind of shallow minded on my behalf but i gave the demo a shot. This had to be a year or more back. At first it was kind of slow but I got the hang of mining and making some money. After a few days I had neglected the game, not because I didn't like it, it was simply life gets busy and I play a lot of other games as well. So I saw it released on Steam and I figured I'd give it another shot and I'm glad I did. My 1st day went very well. It seemed I was all alone in space with these npc's, then Boom chat went active and life came instantly to the game. There was some newbros like myself and some of the vets that have kept this game alive. They taught me the ropes, pointed me to the wealth of knowledge know as the WIKI and i was on my way. I had mined my way into a Sloop (2.1mil credits in shipyard) and that's when it all changed). I hopped in my Sloop and headed out to space in search of a nice asteroid belt to replenish my wallet. Left Vulcan, jumped to Apollo Space and looked at my options, I picked one, Menzel it is and i warped off. I land in Menzel and I open the autopilot and I see Niobite Space...... Hmmmm.. could this be what I think it is? I warp... land and warp to the belt.... I land and to my surprise.....A field of giant Colombite Asteroids!!!!! I felt the I'm rich tingles flow through my fingers as I head to the first one in anticipation to harvest the precious Niobium mineral. I pull up on it and start beaming away at it until my beam was bright blue and BOOM!!!!! i got 15 niobiums... WOOT WOOT!! I cleared the belt and went to the stock market to see my niobium was worth 100k credits a ton(unit). I solf off my haul and was sitting on 45 mil credits and thought I was the man.. Well then I met RAM and Mooncrest... Mooncrest overheard me asking about a bigger ship and he tells me he has a ship for me. Naturally I am intrigued so I ask for the details. A mammoth for 200mil credits.. I see it was a fair price, he wasn't trying to scam me but the problem was, I was 160mil short. I explained financial problems with him and he gave me the Mammoth for 1,000 credits then and sold me the hyperdrive for 200mil the following morning. DEAL!!! I was happier than a pig in you know what and went off mining and had the intentions of going to visit unexplored stars now that i had a hyperdrive and 5000 ton cargo but...... that's where RAM comes into play lol... RAM catches wind of my new accomplishments/loan from Moon and offers me 40,000 tons of uranium for 1 credit each. Me being me, I didn't do the simple math and quickly replied, I owe Moon 200mil so I can't invest at the moment. About 15 minutes went by and I said to myself, why do I feel like a complete jackass right now for not buying the uranium? Well, I looked up buy orders for uranium and saw that there were buyers paying 20k credits a ton. I got out the calculator and saw that my 5000 ton mammoth would make 100mil a load so.... I bought the uranium and started hauling. Then RAM offers me another 40k tons for same price, I jump on it.. I haul out what he sold me and I was sitting on 2bil credits feeling so accomplished but my brain got the best of me... I open the stock market and see who is selling uranium.. BAM found multiple sellers for 1,000 credits a ton-5,000 credits a ton. Another long story short, I spent the next 4-5 hrs hauling uranium back and forth until i couldn't click the damn mouse anymore. I look up and I have 10bil credits in my wallet and I go to bed at 3 am with the best feeling ever!!!! The next day I bought an Orphan (81,000 tons cargo) and found 57 unexplored stars. This is why I play games and this is why you should play this game. Incredible community and the game itself is deep. Sorry I babbled but it was an epic beginning for me.
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:13 pm

SMedium wrote:My 1st impressions of the game was kind of shallow minded on my behalf but i gave the demo a shot. This had to be a year or more back. At first it was kind of slow but I got the hang of mining and making some money. After a few days I had neglected the game, not because I didn't like it, it was simply life gets busy and I play a lot of other games as well. So I saw it released on Steam and I figured I'd give it another shot and I'm glad I did. My 1st day went very well. It seemed I was all alone in space with these npc's, then Boom chat went active and life came instantly to the game. There was some newbros like myself and some of the vets that have kept this game alive. They taught me the ropes, pointed me to the wealth of knowledge know as the WIKI and i was on my way. I had mined my way into a Sloop (2.1mil credits in shipyard) and that's when it all changed). I hopped in my Sloop and headed out to space in search of a nice asteroid belt to replenish my wallet. Left Vulcan, jumped to Apollo Space and looked at my options, I picked one, Menzel it is and i warped off. I land in Menzel and I open the autopilot and I see Niobite Space...... Hmmmm.. could this be what I think it is? I warp... land and warp to the belt.... I land and to my surprise.....A field of giant Colombite Asteroids!!!!! I felt the I'm rich tingles flow through my fingers as I head to the first one in anticipation to harvest the precious Niobium mineral. I pull up on it and start beaming away at it until my beam was bright blue and BOOM!!!!! i got 15 niobiums... WOOT WOOT!! I cleared the belt and went to the stock market to see my niobium was worth 100k credits a ton(unit). I solf off my haul and was sitting on 45 mil credits and thought I was the man.. Well then I met RAM and Mooncrest... Mooncrest overheard me asking about a bigger ship and he tells me he has a ship for me. Naturally I am intrigued so I ask for the details. A mammoth for 200mil credits.. I see it was a fair price, he wasn't trying to scam me but the problem was, I was 160mil short. I explained financial problems with him and he gave me the Mammoth for 1,000 credits then and sold me the hyperdrive for 200mil the following morning. DEAL!!! I was happier than a pig in you know what and went off mining and had the intentions of going to visit unexplored stars now that i had a hyperdrive and 5000 ton cargo but...... that's where RAM comes into play lol... RAM catches wind of my new accomplishments/loan from Moon and offers me 40,000 tons of uranium for 1 credit each. Me being me, I didn't do the simple math and quickly replied, I owe Moon 200mil so I can't invest at the moment. About 15 minutes went by and I said to myself, why do I feel like a complete jackass right now for not buying the uranium? Well, I looked up buy orders for uranium and saw that there were buyers paying 20k credits a ton. I got out the calculator and saw that my 5000 ton mammoth would make 100mil a load so.... I bought the uranium and started hauling. Then RAM offers me another 40k tons for same price, I jump on it.. I haul out what he sold me and I was sitting on 2bil credits feeling so accomplished but my brain got the best of me... I open the stock market and see who is selling uranium.. BAM found multiple sellers for 1,000 credits a ton-5,000 credits a ton. Another long story short, I spent the next 4-5 hrs hauling uranium back and forth until i couldn't click the damn mouse anymore. I look up and I have 10bil credits in my wallet and I go to bed at 3 am with the best feeling ever!!!! The next day I bought an Orphan (81,000 tons cargo) and found 57 unexplored stars. This is why I play games and this is why you should play this game. Incredible community and the game itself is deep. Sorry I babbled but it was an epic beginning for me.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game. :D
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
no avatar
User

SMedium

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Postby SMedium » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Being an active eve online CEO, this gives me the content CCP has failed to put in/hasn't put in the game yet. Being able to put thousands of structures on a planet to colonized and have huge starbases in just insane but at the same time proves that these big companies could add more to their games but don't. I give these/this dev(s) a 2 thumbs up for making Ascent happen and using Unity which makes me have faith in these Indie game engines. I thank all you guys and gals for the help and warm welcome to Ascent.
User

CrazyMiner

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Fri May 05, 2017 3:47 am

Postby CrazyMiner » Fri May 05, 2017 4:14 am

Hello, I just started playing a couple of days ago. At first, I was a little put out with how slow everything seemed. But not finding the drone in the tutorial was not so bad. I did a bunch of contracts at the beginning. Followed by none stop mining. In less than 3 hours I bought my way up to a manta. the next day I started out by purchasing A BowHead Ship. And I now just planted a farm or something on ceres and a water tower. I have lots to Learn. And I am hopeful to find a TeamSpeak that is active. I love the non-PVP aspect of this game. It's like SimCity, But only this game is in space. I hope more people see how enjoyable this game is and starts to play it.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:16 am

:mrgreen: These Ascent testimonials would also look good as thumbs up recommendations in Steam. :D
no avatar
User

DemonicReaper

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:14 am

Iowa, United States

Postby DemonicReaper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:31 am

Moneyman wrote::mrgreen: These Ascent testimonials would also look good as thumbs up recommendations in Steam. :D

Yes, they would....They would tell other people looking at the game what ascent is all about.