User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Steam Store Page Active

Postby jam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:42 pm

You can now see the store page in Steam, and the game is approved for early access release on Feb 27.

If you can review the game and intend to, please bear in mind the following:

- Be honest. I've got everywhere in life by telling the truth, no need to start BS now.
    - No need to go over the top. When I read 100 reviews about elite that say 10/10 best game ever and another 100 saying it's full of bugs and there's no content, I don't know who to believe. We're marketing Ascent as a game still under development, nobody expects perfection right now. It's not the best game ever. It might be one day with a few million bucks in art and years more development time.
    - It might be worth saying when you got involved with the game. Steam displays hours played (in steam) which is great but some of you have been playing for months before it was available on steam :)
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Re: Steam Store Page Active

Postby ForumBot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:11 pm

jam wrote:You can now see the store page in Steam, and the game is approved for early access release on Feb 27.

- Be honest. I've got everywhere in life by telling the truth, no need to start BS now.
    - No need to go over the top. When I read 100 reviews about elite that say 10/10 best game ever and another 100 saying it's full of bugs and there's no content, I don't know who to believe. We're marketing Ascent as a game still under development, nobody expects perfection right now. It's not the best game ever. It might be one day with a few million bucks in art and years more development time.
    - It might be worth saying when you got involved with the game. Steam displays hours played (in steam) which is great but some of you have been playing for months before it was available on steam :)

YAY!
Too bad i cant review it
Joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.
Officially the 12980th registered user ingame, ~158th registered forum account.
Discoverer of Nexus
No longer active
User

Sinstrite

Rank

Commander

Commander

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Postby Sinstrite » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:11 pm

I went to leave a good review but sadly the only people that can do so are the ones who got the keys/early access to it. I'll buy it when it comes out and leave a review then! Much congrats for finally getting the game out on Steam.
no avatar
User

shathiell

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 am

Postby shathiell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:00 pm

jam wrote:You can now see the store page in Steam, and the game is approved for early access release on Feb 27.

Just FYI, it seems as though you can't pre-review the game (It says that the game needs to be released before taking reviews).
User

FAdmiral

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Postby FAdmiral » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Some of my friends are looking at the game demo like I am.
We will be joining in to play it when it gets steam access.
We all like what we see, something fresh and new in the 4X
space games plus full planet colonies with expandable ideas
in an unlimited structure environment
no avatar
User

domderek

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:46 am

Postby domderek » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:12 am

The game is now listed as "very positive" on the Steam store page. Not a huge deal, but it brought a smile when I noticed it today.
Domderek
Chairman of the M.I.N.E.R.S. Guild Council

M.I.N.E.R.S Guild
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Awesome...
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Postby jam » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:48 am

Yep we've got some good reviews in there, just been reading through them.

It's interesting to me how grindy even the positive ones describe it as being. You can set up inner 8 settlements and progress offline with 15 mins play a day and still get right up there, so that's a bit of an eye-opener to me. And even describe the research system as "Grind" when there's bugger all online effort component of it is a bit weird.

That said, I don't know an MMO where there is no "grind".

Anyway, I'm delighted overall with the reception we've had on Steam.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

Waervyn

Rank

Commander

Commander

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:06 am

Finland/Denmark/Netherlands

Postby Waervyn » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:43 pm

It is a fabulous game, but the first part of the game is fairly grindy.

It's not worth buying hyperdrives for the smaller ships, as:
1) you change ships to often and they only fit on one specific class
2) HD's are really expensive

So, what that leaves a player to do is to 'grind' up to the Seraph (maybe mammoth) before the game actually opens up to them.
It's not really worth starting a starbase before a hammerhead/mammoth either, as you'll be hauling so much stuff to build factories it's just not worth the time.

That leaves mining and trading for the first 20ish hours of the game.
Want to learn about ants? Visit my popular science blog Antyscience!
My Ascent: The Space game tutorial series. Send me a PM for suggestions!
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:22 pm

I "grinded" my way through each and every ship and researched each hyperdrive as I did it, so i guess in that sense it did take me about 60days to get to the top tier ship (seraph) at the time but i also built all 100 rings, 8 settlements full up and had hyperdrives for each of those class ships on my grind up. :D

Maybe I was playing it wrong but didn't seem like a grind at the time to me. I always found I had storage issues, or lack of it, that is because i had so much material and couldn't keep up with my contracts and what i had stored in warehouses at every station and ISB. lol