User

slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm

What's not in the wiki?

Postby slhawkins » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:25 pm

To start - I think some players don't fully understand the value of the wiki. If a question requires a detailed answer then chances are there are a few follow up questions that will require additional answers. To me, the wiki solves that. I don't have a problem answering questions in general, but I would rather a player learn to use the wiki for more detailed questions so they don't use up 10 minutes of my time for something that could be read in 5 minutes. We're here to play the game just like the rest. :-) I know some people take offense to that or dislike it, but it's being realistic and when they get to point of answering questions they will completely understand.

That said, if an answer isn't in the wiki then we have a problem. So that's what I want this thread to be for. If there is something that should be in the wiki but it isn't, please list it here. I'm going to try to keep a running list in this post and cross them out as we answer them. Any other suggestions dealing with the wiki are also welcome. Thanks!

Things we need to fix
Last edited by slhawkins on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Re: What's not in the wiki?

Postby ForumBot » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:58 pm

slhawkins wrote:To start - I think some players don't fully understand the value of the wiki. If a question requires a detailed answer then chances are there are a few follow up questions that will require additional answers. To me, the wiki solves that. I don't have a problem answering questions in general, but I would rather a player learn to use the wiki for more detailed questions so they don't use up 10 minutes of my time for something that could be read in 5 minutes. We're here to play the game just like the rest. :-) I know some people take offense to that or dislike it, but it's being realistic and when they get to point of answering questions they will completely understand.

That said, if an answer isn't in the wiki then we have a problem. So that's what I want this thread to be for. If there is something that should be in the wiki but it isn't, please list it here. I'm going to try to keep a running list in this post and cross them out as we answer them. Any other suggestions dealing with the wiki are also welcome. Thanks!

Yay, perfect opportunity to whine about the wiki.

Actually, the wiki is great, and I'm glad that it's there. What I don't like is when people tell people to look at the wiki every 3 minutes. It get's kind of annoying, and gives some people a bad view over the community. If you mention that theres a wiki in one of your posts on chat or forums, it sounds less like you are trying to get them to stop asking you questions, or trying to get them to shut up. Not to mention Ascent turns pretty much any browser into a lag simulator, no matter what platform it is. That's why the HELP button is so much more useful than having to have a wiki page open at all times, not to mention that it also slows down Ascent too.

On a seperate note, the wiki needs more attention, because several pages I have come across are outdated.
joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.

Officially the 12980th registered user, ~158th registered forum account.

Discoverer of Nexus

So far has made a total of: ~5 quitting threads and counting!
no avatar
User

slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby slhawkins » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:09 pm

ForumBot wrote:Useless Paragraph

That's why the HELP button is so much more useful than having to have a wiki page open at all times, not to mention that it also slows down Ascent too.

On a seperate note, the wiki needs more attention, because several pages I have come across are outdated.

I realize you don't know it, but the HELP info comes from the wiki. I'm sure most people don't know that though. So if it makes you feel better, we'll start saying "click the help button". As far as the wiki slowing down your computer, that's for you and a very select few others.

Which pages and which info are outdated? I'm not active enough to know everything, so I really just need to get a list together and start selecting people to help write it.
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby ForumBot » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:49 pm

slhawkins wrote:Useless post

I know about the help button being the the wiki.

As for the wiki slowing down the computer, that should pretty much affect anyone and everyone who doesn't have a $3000 high tech gaming computer.

I think the colonization pages are still outdated in areas.

Discoverer of Nexus

no avatar
User

slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby slhawkins » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:06 am

ForumBot wrote:As for the wiki slowing down the computer, that should pretty much affect anyone and everyone who doesn't have a $3000 high tech gaming computer.

You couldn't be more wrong. My wife's $600 laptop, my $1000 laptop, and my $1400 desktop all play just fine with the game and wiki.

Thanks for not helping though. :)
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby ForumBot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:16 am

slhawkins wrote:
ForumBot wrote:As for the wiki slowing down the computer, that should pretty much affect anyone and everyone who doesn't have a $3000 high tech gaming computer.

You couldn't be more wrong. My wife's $600 laptop, my $1000 laptop, and my $1400 desktop all play just fine with the game and wiki.

Thanks for not helping though. :)

-removed due to cringiness-
Last edited by ForumBot on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Discoverer of Nexus

no avatar
User

shathiell

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 am

Postby shathiell » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:55 am

Ignoring the thread derailment attempt, the wiki needs some explanation behind the Hierarchy of Needs. RAM has some excellent info in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=988

His first and last posts provide a lot of good information on how it works.
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:09 pm

How about a list of known bugs section?

1. Class 1 and class 8 shield blue prints will not disappear from your research screen selection menu.

2. Colonies with Orchards will never show production values efficiency over 75%.

3. Server/Client position Lag will sometimes give you the error of "Cannot relocate outside Apollo" error message.

4. When registering from Steam, you must have access set to public to get your premium key acknowledgement in game.

5 ......
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:01 pm

Common Chat terms and identifiers:

o/ - Hello/ hey / how goes it
\o - Bye/Goodbye/nite/see you later
o/` - Waving while Mining
ISB - Inner Star Base
OSB - Outer Star Base
SS - Space Station (Referring to NPC space stations within the Core 9)
NN - Nite nite all (Log off)
MP - Miner's Paradise
MH - Miner's Heaven - now renamed Haven
GP/GS - Galactic Parliament/Galactic Senate

Galactic President - Term held by a Senator (Colonial deed holder) who has been voted into office by other senators, governors and mayors. Currently this title is held by Johneaux for the past 3 elections which was marginally won by just over 400k votes during the last bi-election. Presidential duties pertain to the approval of senatorial proposed gate building projects, working directly with UNCA to obtain clearance for building gates with connections to the Core 9 worlds. UNCA provides Presidential protection to the Prime system with the dreadnaught currently parked within system Prime.

Senator - A colonial senator with voting power in the Galactic Senate which include the ability to rename a system, as well as propose and vote on Gate building projects. Senators also have the approval authority to build gates between systems not connected to the Core 9 worlds. Both Senators must agree to such projects however.
Governor - A colonial title of a planetary colony owner who has been voted in by its world with the ability to rename the planet. A

Governor also has voting rights for the System Senator and is also typically holding a secondary title as Mayor of their colony on same world. Governors may take proposals or propose projects within their world to their Senate representative.

Mayor - A colony owner voted in by themselves and a deed owner on a planet who's able to rename their colony and Outer Star Base only but has voting rights in elections for both the Governor and Senator positions. Mayor's may propose projects to Governors and Senate representatives.

SY - Ship yard (May be at player ISB or OSB)

Research - Research facility located ONLY on ISB and only one allowed in game.

Mech/Elec - Mechanical and Electrical parts factory or parts depending on usage.

Core 9 - Aka Sector 0, The core nine worlds associated with the Apollo sector which contains the following systems: Apollo, Vulcan, Ceres, Vestra, Sol Invictus, Veritas, Ubertas, Pomona, and Janus A.

Cmdr Dixon - Commander Dixon is the commanding officer of the UNCA Janus A pirate/combat training mission tutorial scenario NPC located just inside the jump gate to Janus A.

Inner Belts - Asteroid mining belts that are located within the Core 9, Located in Vulcan and Veritas systems. These belts contain small versions of all types of asteroids in game with the exception of Promethicite.

Outer Belt - Unexplored or Explored (gated) systems Asteroid belts. May contain up to four different types of asteroids but so far none have been found containing all types of asteroids of systems outside the Core 9. Also, once mined, have the ability to spawn Promethicite asteroids if the correct asteroids are present in the belt.

Prom - Promethicite Asteroids, produce promethium which is required in high end gate parts. They spawn ONLY from the harvesting of Columbite, Autenite and Angerite asteroids at a rate of 1 in 100 chance.

MB - Mining Beam

CL - Class level of a module or ship, typically followed by a number.

RAM - A long time amish player or name of a gas scooping module (depending on usage)

HD - Hyperdrive module, requires the usage of Hydrogen gas to operate.

Shield - Required protective shield module, used as protective shielding from laser weapons fire.

Warp Drive - required warp engine module for jumping between gates ONLY.

SB - Salvage Beam - a required salvage beam module that is able to identify wreckage parts as well as salvage items from them.

Armor - Protective metal armor plating which is a required module and protects against micro-meteorites as well as weapons fire.

Capacitor - An energy storage unit whose output is limited by class level of the module for use while warping and/or combat. Special promethium capacitors are available at extreme costs that store more energy then regular capacitors at less cargo weight.

Reactor - An energy production unit that is required to supply capacitors with energy. You may have more than one.

Gravity Generator - A spacial breaking system which applies anti-gravity mechanics onto spacial surroundings allowing for deceleration and stopping.

Broads - Broadside Heavy Laser Cannons used to inflict maximum damage to shields and armor

Turrets - a sickness that sometimes results in the lack of profanity control, also a lighter tracking laser weapon that provides less fire power and more energy usage but is able to track targets automatically to inflict damage to shields and armor.

Axiel - an 80's band member of G&R, also a Heavy front mounted laser pulse cannon that has delayed charging that inflicts large amounts of damage to shields and armor.

Light - a light beam that was provided as a holiday blue print gift to players by Jam. The beam provides large amounts of surface light at higher class levels.

DAVE - A very annoying A.I. unit supplied to all current ships within the Apollo sector. Activated by clicking Control - C. Commands can be programmed into it to perform certain functions.

---- more to add---like dave and colony commands
User

Prolapser

Rank

Commander

Commander

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Postby Prolapser » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:52 am

Agamemnon wrote::TonsOfTerminology:

I created a Terminology page in the wiki. I just copy/pasted your post with a little editing.
http://wiki.thespacegame.com/mediawiki/ ... erminology

One day I might get to fixing the formatting better. Feel free to edit/format that page with your updates.
Next