User

albrat

Rank

Commander

Commander

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:43 am

Lifetime premium Subscription

Postby albrat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:30 pm

I know this was an item offered in the kickstarter...

But. I never saw the kickstarter :( I wish i had. I Realised that alot of people are not sure about the premium monthly sub scheme... The exact same problem was encountered by the "Star Trek Online" game... (I was part of the beta for that and was "lucky" to get offered a lifetime sub. (which I purchased for £100). This meant that ST:O managed to make a large amount of money in a short time and the player base got to play for however long they wanted, using all features of the game.

Note: We had all purchased a copy of the game as well as paying the lifetime sub.

I was thinking that it would be a good cash boost for the game if there was an offer of lifesub to the premium, where you can buy a lifesub for a nominal fee. eg. $190 AUS (£100 GBP) If a player purchased the sub it would be two to three years of playing before they break even on the normal sub, but then they do not need to worry about subscription every month. (there would have to be a Space Credit per month income as per normal sub... and if they wanted more SC. Then they could always add a months sub to gain more.) So it still would allow income from the players with lifesubs. Just they could use all features. :)
Albrat Formerly newuser36083

Why does Dos never say good command or filename?
Senator of Arillia, Senator of Albrat-6.
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Re: Lifetime premium Subscription

Postby ForumBot » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 pm

albrat wrote:I know this was an item offered in the kickstarter...

But. I never saw the kickstarter :( I wish i had. I Realised that alot of people are not sure about the premium monthly sub scheme... The exact same problem was encountered by the "Star Trek Online" game... (I was part of the beta for that and was "lucky" to get offered a lifetime sub. (which I purchased for £100). This meant that ST:O managed to make a large amount of money in a short time and the player base got to play for however long they wanted, using all features of the game.

Note: We had all purchased a copy of the game as well as paying the lifetime sub.

I was thinking that it would be a good cash boost for the game if there was an offer of lifesub to the premium, where you can buy a lifesub for a nominal fee. eg. $190 AUS (£100 GBP) If a player purchased the sub it would be two to three years of playing before they break even on the normal sub, but then they do not need to worry about subscription every month. (there would have to be a Space Credit per month income as per normal sub... and if they wanted more SC. Then they could always add a months sub to gain more.) So it still would allow income from the players with lifesubs. Just they could use all features. :)

Lifetime sub would be nice.
Joined on May 6, 2014
Formerly known as newuser12980
Discoverer of Nexus
User

Worm

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Lifetime premium Subscription

Postby Worm » Fri May 29, 2015 2:27 am

Lifetime sub would be great for sure, BUT at this point in development it can't really be offered at the current sub rate. For it to be worth it to Jam it would need to be offered at the completed game price * x number of years.

Lets say for the sake of argument that 3 years is the mark. Currently the game sells for 10$ US and includes 3 months premium for 10$ US which amounts to 50$ for the first year and 40$ each year after. That is a total of 130$US for three years of play.

Now at the end of that three years the game will be worth at min 40$ for the game and 10$ a month for sub, making it 160$ for the first year and 120$ for each year after. That is a total of 400$US and no lifetime premium sub can really be offered for less than that without crippling revenue later on down the line if the bulk of the player base comes in too early(and it will). It's also to high an asking price for the current game model.

I'm sure many of you have noticed that technical games such as these have a bit of a smaller player base than most other games because only the people of more than average intelligence enjoy them. Knowing that, it stands to reason that most of the people that are willing to pay a lifetime sub have their life in order and will most likely be here anyway when the game can be called completed.

Right now the game is in alpha but the people that come in and fall in love with it's developer and it's community won't hesitate to pay a lifetime sub and while that will put an extra chunk of cash in Jam's pocket now, the game's overhead is ongoing and also increasing as more and more data is having to be stored.

Now if at the end of the three years the content flow ceases and what we have is what we get then it could probably be offered without much risk but it's obvious how passionately obsessed the man is with this game.

There is also the matter of multiple accounts. At some point in this game's lifespan gold farmers are going to show up and when they do, multiple accounts may have to be eliminated and that will be difficult when one Steam account has 4 lifetime subbed TSG accounts attached to it.

So really, a lifetime sub isn't feasible and offering it would be equivalent to Jam (metaphorically speaking) shooting himself in the foot.