User

Vile

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:55 am

New Members Through Steam

Postby Vile » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:18 am

Hello! New player here ... saw the game on Steam. This section is for suggestions on how to get more players. and I have a few.

DEMO: Give people a free demo through steam. Just don't let them register until purchase.
You may want to improve the tutorial before this.

Ship/Item Packages: Respectfully speaking, the game is hard as #%@# starting out. Also, you have new players coming in to an environment driving around a 10 ton cargo "turtle" to grind money in. Now, the kickstarter crowd got a free "super" freighter (tens of thousands of cargo), so selling ship packages could not possible unbalance the game any more than that ship.

Referral Bonus: Give players in game rewards for recruiting new players. In game currency, ships, deeds, etc.
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Re: New Members Through Steam

Postby ForumBot » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:29 am

Vile wrote:Hello! New player here ... saw the game on Steam. This section is for suggestions on how to get more players. and I have a few.

DEMO: Give people a free demo through steam. Just don't let them register until purchase.
You may want to improve the tutorial before this.

Ship/Item Packages: Respectfully speaking, the game is hard as #%@# starting out. Also, you have new players coming in to an environment driving around a 10 ton cargo "turtle" to grind money in. Now, the kickstarter crowd got a free "super" freighter (tens of thousands of cargo), so selling ship packages could not possible unbalance the game any more than that ship.

Referral Bonus: Give players in game rewards for recruiting new players. In game currency, ships, deeds, etc.

There might be a demo on the website if Jam hasn't removed it yet.
Joined on May 6, 2014
Formerly known as newuser12980
Discoverer of Nexus
no avatar
User

slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Postby slhawkins » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:33 am

ForumBot wrote:There might be a demo on the website if Jam hasn't removed it yet.

The benefit of having a Steam demo is the number of players it would open the game to without having to stumble on the web site.
User

Vile

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Postby Vile » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:44 am

Yes, that's what I am thinking.

We steam users are a little strange. We don't have a game or two .... we have hundreds of games.

Thinking on it ... the best way to bring in players from Steam is to drop the price below $10 (1/2 price sale) and then offer a few starter pack bundles.

Im serious about that starter pack thing ... seriously. I really really really want to explore .... but it is too hard starting out. This game is SERIOUSLY grindy ... and this is coming from an Everquest veteran (they invented the grind).

Help the new players out! Its good to bring them in, but be sure they stay and play.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:27 pm

Vile wrote:Yes, that's what I am thinking.

We steam users are a little strange. We don't have a game or two .... we have hundreds of games.

Thinking on it ... the best way to bring in players from Steam is to drop the price below $10 (1/2 price sale) and then offer a few starter pack bundles.

Im serious about that starter pack thing ... seriously. I really really really want to explore .... but it is too hard starting out. This game is SERIOUSLY grindy ... and this is coming from an Everquest veteran (they invented the grind).

Help the new players out! Its good to bring them in, but be sure they stay and play.

Read the wiki. It can really help you.

http://wiki.thespacegame.com

If you are mining, get a better mining beam. Best investment in the game early on.

Players pay good money for nio and tin. A great field early on is in Haven. Mine there. Learn to eject junk, sell nio and tin in system to colonies there.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:52 pm

Vile wrote:This game is SERIOUSLY grindy ... and this is coming from an Everquest veteran (they invented the grind).

This game is most certainly NOT grindy. If you think it is grindy it is because you have decided to grind; the game system is NOT forcing you to. Because the game is only PvE there is absolutely no pressure on a new player to grind, except if the player wants to. In the PvP MMOs I have tried there is a period of grace after which you are no longer deemed to be a new player and what happens... you get squashed within a few hours of the grace period ending. This results in having to put hours and hours of time into the game in the beginning to get yourself into a position where you at least have some chance of surviving this initial onslaught - The Grind. Then you have to grind so that you can keep ahead of the competition. In Ascent - TSG there is no PvP. Hence, there is no reason to grind, unless you want to.

With Ascent - TSG you can take all the time you want to achieve what you want to. There is no correct path to follow; there is no set way of doing things; there is no "winning" the game. If you want to get the best ship in the game and have an established starbase and colony within a week, then you are going to have to grind. Alternatively, you can take months to get to that position, cruising around seeing the sights. Ascent - TSG is a game that suits the both the gamer who has only an hour or two a week to play and the gamer who can play for hours at a time every day. There is no advantage one way or the other. The game is NOT competitive; it IS co-operative.

Getting yourself a better ship should not take more than a couple of hours gaming time. One of the beauties of the game is that you can fly any ship right from the start, if you have the cash to buy it. You do not need to progress from Class 1 ship to Class 2 then Class 3 etc. A Class 6 ship sells for about 3million credits on the GM or at SS Shipyards. Niobium and Tin sell for 50k+ credits per ton. Your initial ship can carry 12 tons, if you dump the Axial Laser, which is not required. Five loads of Niobium/Tin gets you a ship capable of holding 320 tons of cargo. You can then work on a mid-class Mining Beam; another 60 or so tons should secure that. Now you are really rocking. Another five loads in your new ship should get you a ship that can hold 1200tons... and so on.

I know it is difficult to change one's method of play, especially after months or years of having to do everything at express speed just to keep from going under, but in Ascent - TSG you can relax and therefore you can to adopt a different outlook. No-one is going to kill you, no-one is going to destroy the stuff you have spent time making. You cannot die; try it, fly at a star; you will go on through, accelerate directly at a planet; you'll bounce off. You cannot even get stuck in space. So, go park in space above a planet and watch it revolve. Land on the planet and watch the sun rise or sun set.

Above all Ascent - TSG is a sandbox game you can do your own thing at your own pace within the limits set by the game systems.
Blake Mooncrest
Proprietor, Mooncrest Industries

Senator for Elfydd, Newydd Cymru, Otturet, Ceredigion and Llandysul
Mayor of all MI Facilities in the Miners Paradise system.
no avatar
User

Corezite

Rank

Midshipman

Midshipman

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:39 pm

Postby Corezite » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Mooncrest wrote: snip for +1

This is a great summary from Mooncrest about how TSG has become an "alternative" type of game for me. And add me to the group that never would have heard of this game had it not been for Steam, since I'm not an EVE refugee and have never played a true sandbox before. I've been in the game about a month now, spending a fair amount of time just observing chat for ideas, wandering around and trying different things. I prefer to figure out dynamics myself, so I've made a lot of mistakes (many would consider buying the "tutorial" level 1 hyperdrive a mistake, which I did, instead of one off the GM, for example), but making mistakes is also how I learn to not make them again.

According to Steam, I've played TSG for 146 hours now. I think if you choose to view it as a grind it will become one, especially if the goal is to simply have what everyone else has. The only things I really consider "grindy" are things on timers, like tracking research or building, and that's not much of a real grind. Occasionally I will miss a research "tick" because it's unfortunately on a 24-hour clock, but that's OK, like Mooncrest says, what's the rush? (Incidentally, this is one of the very few things Star Trek Online got right - their "daily" missions run 20 hours typically instead of 24, so if you have a job and such and generally log on the same time every day for a few minutes, the mission is always ready for you again).

Back to 146 hours. In that time I have... not amassed a billion credits yet. I am still in a Mammoth. I haven't established either an outer colony or an OSB. So if you're a forum lurker like me and were feeling down about people who started three weeks after you who are now buying their second fully-kitted Seraph, know that you're not alone (or maybe I'm the one that's alone!). I'm still having a good time. Much of the reason for that is because I've thrown off the burden of having to keep up with everyone else - at my age and time commitments there's no way I could even hope to keep up with most players even if I were playing more. TSG is one of the very few games I've found in the last 15 years where what I enjoy doing doesn't hinge on keeping up with everyone else. That alone is a quite a benefit.

I see the perception of the grind in chat, and unfortunately it tends to be self-perpetuating. Most commonly it's "sell nio and tin right away to player colonies", a comment I will see at least twice if not more just in the hour or two I'm on directed at new players, which sends the message when the new player is developing that this is what the game is all about. And mostly that's because that's all new players ask about, how can I make a zillion credits in the next ten minutes. I don't know how to solve that, because it's what the gaming industry has trained players to do.

The key is to probably target newer players who ask more insightful questions than "zomg can u give me 1 billion loan nao?" and encourage them to see past the initial getting-established phase. I have been seeing more of this lately, now that the original player base has better adapted to the Steam influx, and hope to see it continue.
User

SilverWill

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Postby SilverWill » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:17 pm

+1 Mooncrest and Corezite
Founder, Ag Willow Works, LLC
Trade Guild Member

Founding Senator, Arda System
Founding Governor, Mellyrn
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:59 pm

I just want to comment on your avatar....Die goblin die!! hehe....I'm a long time pathfinder player so I recognize the iconic goblin with his dog slicer..I've been playing a regular tabletop session of PF set in Skyrim for bout 2 yrs now(now as a mythic ranger)...I also kick-started Pathfinder online although I find myself logged in here more then there, those fantasy games are all the same no real difference to any of them so I don't get into them.

I'll +1 the previous comments, i've been playing since last June and have never been the top dog in game or tried to be, I took my time, all my mining levels from 1-100 were gotten in a ship below a Mammoth, seriously, which is why i got burnt out on mining, although instead of selling all my nio/tin for credits I hoarded it for one day preparing to make my own gates in the red zone (that's roughly 4-500k nio/tin now I've gone through)...I have my own hyper-drive store business (that's pretty much all i sell ask anyone)...and i mine or trade or work on colonies when i want, where i want and don't keep up with the Jones'. Today i mostly buy but also scout and mine prom for gate building in the Red Zone for my own private gates I'm building.
User

Vile

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Postby Vile » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:55 am

"I just want to comment on your avatar....Die goblin die!!"

I played Pathfinder up until 5th Edition D&D came out, then switched to it. It just doesn't feet right playing Pathfinder after playing 5th Edition.

Anyway, Sadly I am most likely giving up on Ascent. I put in 64 hours, got a mammoth, and was starting the grind for a hyperdrive thinking the game would change if I could maybe explore a little.

Long story short I miss-clicked something on the GM and lost most of my credits ... I think I bought an armor module or something stupid by accident. I am just not interested enough to haul more carbon or mine for 4-5 tin at a time.

Those saying the game is not grindy are either kidding themselves, or trying to lie. Your extremely vocal "the game is not a grind" people got a bowhead from the KS and never had to grind for a ship, they played the game on EZ mode. This game is grindy, in fact it is probably the grindiest game I have ever played. Mining is a grind, hauling minerals is a tedious grind, etc.

At 64 hours played I believe I gave the game a good try, probably a better try than the average Steam user will give it ... but in the end it was a grind vs. reward issue for me (variation of risk vs. reward).
Next