User

057Kingpin

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Story Time

Postby 057Kingpin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:52 pm

I am an older player, and I have enjoyed the game, but have not been playing for some time (since micromanaging sewage and trash on colonies was implemented, sorry but this kills my want to play). I want to come back, but have been playing other games (esp. KSP). I had gotten a bit bored with KSP for a time, but what brought me back to it was the addition of more contracts, it allowed me to see a story, and got me reinvested in the game.

This is the biggest thing I see missing from Ascent, there is not much in the way of a story. At early stages the story is easy get a ship, build a space station, learn how to mine, how to make a settlement, and it really makes initial game play a joy. Then the story disappears... There is a total lack of direction, the obvious route is to build a colony, work on hyperspace gates... but it is all user directed gameplay. I decide what to do, how to do it, there is no sense of urgency and I found myself logging in less ad less often until now I have basically quit playing. In essence the game becomes a sandbox, and sandboxes an be fun, if there is experimentation that an be done, this isnt the case with Ascent. We need direction, more variety of contracts and more contracts in general. Perhaps smuggling will help, but why not add a tractor beam, perhaps we could respond to distress calls originating in nearby systems and tow affected vessels in for a reward. In the red zone, perhaps some distress calls are a trap from pirates.

In short I think we need the game to interact more with us, not just us interacting with the game. Perhaps I'll start playing again, I'm still paying for it, because I believe this game can be great. Just been a bit bored.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Re: Story Time

Postby jam » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:08 am

I'm with you on that one.

I will one day (when we can afford to do it properly, hopefully soon) build the main questlines out to encompass the rest of the game. There's a new storyline I've been working on in the background that will help us get there. It will be kind of an epic quest that takes you through all of the gameplay, just as the main quest line does now up to exploration but not deeply into it or colonisation etc.

I also want to redo the combat questline to make it more engaging, but will be doing that for certain basically next.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Story Time

Postby rmartz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Hey King. Good to hear from you.

I longed for a bigger storyline early on, but then found I could kind of create my own. I actually enjoy the freedom to do that. I suspect I am different then most. Most want to be engaged more. I do think it would help to keep a few around. I just find that I can be very creative within the game and work at that. It is one of the things that has kept me around and engaged. There is nothing to complete and be done, so I keep going.

Most games that have a storyline and then all the extra you can do afterwards find me doing the storyline, then quitting. Now Jam just learned what he has to do to get rid of me!! I suspect we will see a storyline coming out very soon!! :lol:

King, if you do start playing again, feel free to get with me. I can que you in on a few things that we are developing and would be happy to have you help.

Peace.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.