ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Ideas to bring new players to Ascent

Postby ForumBot » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:45 am

-Advertising
If and when Jam can afford to start ads for Ascent, this would do a lot to improve the size of the community.

-Giving small credit or SC rewards to people who share Ascent on Facebook or whatever else through the game.

-Steam sales
Occasionally doing sales would encourage more people to buy the game during them.

-Mobile versions
This would take a while to port from Unity to mobile devices, but it would drastically increase the amount of players, since it is available and visible to more people. In the far future, versions for consoles may also be something to think about.
Joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.

Officially the 12980th registered user ingame, ~158th registered forum account.
Discoverer of Nexus
no avatar
User

Tiadashi

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:13 pm

Re: Ideas to bring new players to Ascent

Postby Tiadashi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:22 pm

Has "grouping" been discussed? I think this would go a long way to keep players going in the game - the ability to pool resources, create colonies as a group, clan or whatever - maybe even grouping for combat missions with some limitations to not make it too easy - group mining "tasks" where maybe you get a "little extra" for completing a mining task in a certain time limit? The ability to know or find out where your group members are?
no avatar
User

Freman

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Postby Freman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi all, new to forum today and game yesterday so probably won't be posting much early on till I have a bit more knowledge.
Can post here though as requires nothing but an opinion.

Just a little story of how I came to the game, loved space sims since Elite and played many of them over the years not found one that caught my imagination for some time now. Constantly googling and scanning Steam recommendations (they know my library) so tend to throw anything space related my way or so I thought.

To cut it short something brought Freelancer to mind so wondered if Steam sold it, be great with all those fantastic mods on workshop! So did a search answer of course was no but it did come up with a long list of alternatives, scrolled though all the stuff they had been recommending as similar to games you play for ages till about 3 pages down came to this game stood out because I had never heard of it so took a look and liked what I saw. :)

I know I am not offering any answers here but identifying a problem but alas in todays world " being worthy " is all about how much advertising revenue you can throw their way and nothing about the quality of the product.

The developer here does not have that sort of money to throw around but similar to the titles mentioned above has an idea of the sort of game he wishes to create. Of those 2 titles one succeeded by word on mouth and the other was lucky enough to have MS backing.

Nuff said cut my forum teeth and had a little wander down memory lane, can't be all bad.
User

Novicius

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:39 am

NOVA, NEO, JULIA

Postby Novicius » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Money is an issue as we all know.

I do understand that developing the game is hard and expensive.

I just like to suggest discounts, offers, sales.

If you like to make extra money on DLC drop price on game it self. I would say this is the biggest issue for new players. It takes time to "fall in love" (like truly = get addicted). Make it easy for beginners. Charge (if you have to) addicted ones.

In general:

1.Make enough money to keep developing.
2.Build volume by being "cheep".
3.Make as many as possible to try (yes, for free).

In particular:
->1.It is developed game and price of it is already matching some of the finished games. [i love to play games in the making but not everybody has money to give it a go]
->2+3.Let ppl have it, try it, taste it.. = > bigger chance to hook somebody who will understand what you are trying to achieve and (as myself) become supportive rather than demanding.

Whatever you do , do not stop as you do not have real competition IMO, visuals does not make game, ideas do !!!!
DAIMON DEUS ALEXIS CAPS NOVICIUS IMPERATIVE...
"I am NOVA",senator of NEO,MINERVA and TIN TIN, imperative of N-Spire force, CEO of Bank of NOVA

"I have a dream..."

MM "You can be fun to read"
User

Novicius

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

NOVA, NEO, JULIA

Postby Novicius » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:43 pm

I like idea of grouping

I know you have done great job on comms so far. Yet they are not really a comms. They are game chat.

True comms would be great way to hook players.

By true comms I mean Privateer like -> real time communication;

This could be developed to TeamSpeak (which i do not like but i do know that a lot of players like it) eventuallly.

I would love to directly connect with players which are in my location.

[last one: I love Wyvern vidoes cause of info yet they present the game in very bad visual state; i play in fantastic/max resolution; re record those as this videos give some players wrong impression about how the game looks like]
"I am NOVA",senator of NEO,MINERVA and TIN TIN, imperative of N-Spire force, CEO of Bank of NOVA

"I have a dream..."

User

Novicius

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

NOVA, NEO, JULIA

Postby Novicius » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Last but not least

Collision meshes. I do not want to dig a whole here, but it is the issue. I have learned to ignore them (my first game experience was on commodore64), but I feel for players who played massive expensive productions and they go through STUNNING EXITING DAMN NEW AMAZING experience while landing on the planet, just to be shocked by (in their mind) the basic expectation of moving your character around.

I LOVE THE GAME!
move it to XXI century and you will be the richest guys ever...

"I have a dream..."

User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:24 pm

:mrgreen: This thread shows a side of Noviclus that I hadn't seen before - still has the enthusiasm for the game (s/he) began with.

I think its best to mostly leave it to JAM to bring new players into the game - keeping players in the game is more important.

The game has the Wiki and the videos and the forum BUT the game chats are only the first step in making the connection between YOU, who can tell new players what its like to play the game, AND why you are still playing the game.

A BIG new player issue that no one in the forum posts that I've reviewed seems to understand: All online games compete for the same pool of online players AND that pool is tiny compared to how many people would enjoy playing a game online.

You need to give Ascent an advantage over all the other online games drawing from the current pool of players - when you come in contact with a new player think about convincing that player to continue to play Ascent - tell them about YOU.

I'm doing my part: http://miners-guild.com/downloads/moneyman/.'Inventory'. :o
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Postby ForumBot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:39 pm

Moneyman wrote:I think its best to mostly leave it to JAM to bring new players into the game - keeping players in the game is more important.

Jam doesn't seem to want to bring new players to the game. He says 'advertising is a waste of money' even though more players = potentially more money
Joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.

Officially the 12980th registered user ingame, ~158th registered forum account.
Discoverer of Nexus
no avatar
User

tobascodagama

Rank

2nd Lieutenant

2nd Lieutenant

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Postby tobascodagama » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:56 am

I don't think "advertising is a waste of money" necessarily means "I don't want new players". It's just that advertising costs a lot to reach a reasonable amount of people, and conversion rates (i.e., the proportion of ad views that actually become sales) are generally pretty low for a niche game like this one.
User

Novicius

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

NOVA, NEO, JULIA

Postby Novicius » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:40 am

SIMPLE but totally unfair solution:

1."force" hooked players (like myself) to pay for a year subscription.
I
-----> I mean tell them/us to pay or loose everything until the deadline, after which all content of players who has not payed will be deleted. WHY WOULD I LIKE THAT?:
- I am sick and tired of colonies of not playing players who left stupid offers before they left and they spam galactic market and destroyed galactic economy.
- I like DEV to have clear idea of his budget.
- I like loyalty to be rewarded again with unlimited SC, massive new cargo ship, possibility of mining gems, building mining stations in asteroid fields (like Homeworld) and building palaces for a reason
which is: creating new inner systems!

2.Give the rest/new players trial for FREE!!! but with force registration in forum {new forum, which will be for new players only until they become old/paying players} until final release (pls do not do that; i love game to be developed forever until death will take us apart)

3.Let new players become old players:
- if they pay for a game - after finishing essential tutorial new player can have mammoth and Ceres deed fully developed + all essential blueprints + starting money.
- if thay pay loyalty per year - all privileges mentioned earlier.

4.Pay nothing for adverts just spam You Tube with amazing new videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.Fix collision meshes (sorry, I know you try)..

Develop sub-game which take a new player on the journey as a colonist to the "old players" colonies or just around Inner. First person view of amazing world of Ascent!

"I have a dream..."

Next