LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Excuse Me, Jam?

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:15 am

Postby LadyHawk » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:35 pm
So...really don 't mean to introduce an element of negativity here but....it would have provided a great boost in morale here if Jam, whom were are all digging deep and trying hard to find ways to support here, would have taken at least 30 seconds of his time to post a Season's Greetings or Happy Holiday's or some kind of expression of connection with us as a community here.

Don't you think? Seriously, Jam....I came from games that clearly had no interest in anything but scamming its players out of all the $$$ they could get at every opportunity, but even they made a gesture or two at expressions of goodwill for the holidays.

Wake up, Dude...we love your game enough to want to help you make it succeed. Many of us are working hard and digging deep into our own pockets....but we aren't going to accomplish anything if you leave us with the impression that you don't care anymore...aren't even watching, much less participating.

Ascent is a great game...the only one of its kind in the many attempts I've made to try to find alternatives. If Jam isn't giving up on making it a going concern, I will continue to work tirelessly to help. But when he's totally silent, appears disconnected and apathetic...
new players come in all the time but we can't retain even 10% of them because of all the recurrent problems that nobody even talks about efforts to resolve? What are our chances of success?

A new advertising campaign might bring in yet another string of new players...but chances are they are going to turn around and leave again too. What can we do fix the problems that drive new potential COMMITTED players away???

I'm not a programmer...I have no real idea, although I do have a healthy respect for, the challenges faced to fix such problems. I can do nothing to help but be a financial supporter, to the best of my limited ability right now, and be a cheerleader and go-between....helping new players negotiate the problem spots to progress and enjoy the game. I will gladly do that as long as there as any realistic possibility of success.....

But, we need you .....JAM....first and foremost....to assure us that there is something still here to be fighting for.....please?
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Excuse Me, Jam?

Postby rmartz » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:29 pm

Some good points. Definitely something worth reflecting about.

I know he cares. I have been in contact with him every few days or so the past couple of weeks. His passion is here, but there are a lot of hurdles for him right now.

He also needs a few days off. I am hoping he has taken them over the holidays.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:58 pm

:mrgreen: I was a programmer of many years and am familiar with the stages that programmers go through.

Stage one The I can do it better than anyone else stage.

Frankly, some of us never leave this stage .. I suspect that I never did even when I needed to stop writing code.

Stage two This is the stage early Ascent players experienced with JAM.

The realization sinks in that the task taken on is really quite formidable .. design strategy focuses on what is possible.

Stage three Reality sinks in on what one programmer can do with the task at hand.

I don't envy JAM's current situation BUT there is a solution if he'd only listen.

:arrow: Lady, everything you posted was fair, however, we are just the minions not the User of code. :)
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Please understand, I am not suggesting that Jam even try to let everybody who thinks they can help with the coding have a crack at it. Too many cooks in the kitchen will lead to disaster, every time :-P I also don't blame him a bit for not taking all of our suggestions or trying to adopt all the half-baked schemes we've come up with in discussions here.

I'm glad to hear that his passion for the game is alive and well, and if he needs a few days off to be human and rest for awhile, absolutely...take all the time you need.

My main point, I will repeat and attempt to clarify, is this: Jam's participation in this community would be a real boost to its morale and I can't imagine why that would be a difficult or time-consuming task to lay on him. In the absence of any word from him for months on end,
it appears that he's not around and/or doesn't care what's going on here. Ofcourse, I don't expect him to post daily or get involved in all the little discussions...just nod your head and wave to your crowd of fans as you drive by once in a while LOL
no avatar
User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 am

Postby Wulf » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:36 pm

we have had Christmas offerings in the past about 2 years ago we got special light that we could make for ships (some of us old times can make them).

personally I am still pushing for a reanimation devise for the fallen workers, I mean would that not be cool, what could go wrong? :lol:

But I would take a holiday special like one week of double asteroid yields for example.

But you are right and Jam is really bad at PR, he should say something.

HOWEVER Merry Christmas to all :)
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:01 pm

:mrgreen: LH, my point wasn't about coding .. it was about increasing JAM's income.

:idea: The Third stage, ideally, is having enough $$$ to pay others to code.

:arrow: At some point, Indie becomes successful online game or online game curiosity.

:?: Maybe JAM is doing a little pondering :) The $$$ I'm thinking of is lot more than a few $k.
User

Spectre

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Sun May 17, 2015 5:22 am

Postby Spectre » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:18 pm

In the past we seen alot of activity from Jam when he releases a huge update or feature (such as npc hauling or transition from v4 to v5 unity), and we see his artist when he is introducing a new ship or new effects. I am led to believe he wishes to stay in the background unless he is needed to fix things. On many occasions he had led us to believe he wishes us to take our own path and grow as we see fit, while he watches from afar. Give it a little more time. I am sure the need will arise to show his face to all of you new players. I think he is not after celebrity, but functionality. They generally ask about major issues or bugs that are game-breaking while online as well during these moments (but they do say Hi and ask if everyone is having fun atm).

Just my thoughts

Spectre
Senator of
Spire Redguard
Fireside Alexandria
Provenance Ebon
Omega Prime

Member of TG, MG, and the Dark Calling
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:20 am

I would like to interject something here as I have spent the day around family in needed tasks. I feel a little drained from all the activity.

I told Jam he is an introvert. he responded that he is 51% introvert and 49% extrovert. I disagree.

I think he is 80%+ introvert. Maybe more.

The longer an introvert spends with people, the harder it is. They feel weighed down by excessive relationships. They can handle one on one okay, but as soon as a crowd hits, they often shut down

I think this image explains a lot why. Introverts do not live in the moment, but are working at processing what they have just experienced. More hits before they can finish processing, so they often shut down when multiple things start to come at them. This does not mean they can not act extroverted. They can, but it is very draining on them. The opposite of an extrovert who gets excited and positively energized by being around big groups.

Here is some of my perception. I may be wrong about some of this, but willing to share my thoughts.

Right now, Jam shared with me that he is having to spend a good part of his time, not coding, but working at publicity for the game. This means he is drained by this, not energized. This makes it even harder for him to drop in.

I can remember 2 Christmases ago. Jam spent several hours in chat with everyone. I was constantly, yes self appointed as usual, reminding people to not press for things, but just relax and have fun. When jam does drop by in chat, he gets assailed by questions and probes from most. I know, because I have caught myself doing it with may others often. In our excitement, we ask and beg and whine. Jam actually wants to please us all. He wants everything to work and for everything to be in game that he envisions. When he can not, he shuts down and stops chatting. I know. I have pushed that button many a time.

So, I suspect, that because he is having to utilize whatever extroverted skills he has in promoting instead of coding, he would feel too drained to even try to engage with us. Most successful businesses has two things. One, a great idea and do it guy. Secondly a big mouth that loves to talk people up. I have seen some great ideas and businesses go down because they did not have someone great at PR. Jam is solo. He has to try to do both. While pushing yourself to be extroverted, it can really drain oneself. I know for a fact.

When I first started playing Ascent, I was just leaving a carrier that I had to be involved with everyone about everything. I had to constantly be present in almost everything that happened in the towns I lived. I had to force myself to do this, even though I am pretty extroverted. Over time, I felt the weight of it. When I started playing Ascent, there were only 3-5 players active. I kept chat closed for the first 2-3 weeks because I was so drained I could not even force myself to connect with that many. Over time, I recovered and now I can easily connect and I do not feel the weight. One reason is I feel no responsibility. This is key. I think Jam does. He feels personally responsible for the game and the development of it. Well, of course he should. There is no one else except Louie. No one else to share the load.

He has not come right out and said this to me, but I pretty much know it is true. He has watched several other games that only promise to deliver what he as already. They raised millions in Kickstarters on name and promise. He had to call in all his favors to raise the $35,000 for our kickstarter. It came close to braking his spirit then. Now, we are trying to get $3000. Know this. he has not received a salary since June. He has put all his money, retirement, and family beggings into this. We are still $1300 short.

My big struggle is that even with that $3000 for buying ad space, it still will not pay his salary. I think the hope is that he can get the name out and gain a lot of new players so he can get the money he needs to spend the coding time to complete much of that he is trying to bring to the game. If he can get the PR of him, then I am sure he feels he can do what he is best at.

Now back to my original point. I wish Jam would be more present and would comment more, but this is because I expect him to be more extroverted, like me. We all assume others will/should be like we are. I do this daily, then get in trouble when my boys act like me (But that is a different issue all together). Jam has shared that it is very difficult for him to read through and sort through the forums. I told him just recently, I would do what I could to help him. I am such a forum hog anyway. I do not to take over, but to help. All I know is that Jam needs some help and I will do whatever I can to assist. Honestly, I should have started all this back in June, but Jam, being as he is, would not and did not share anything. We found out through other channels.

Lastly, I hope I have not shared anything that should have been kept in confidence. I have tried to be open without betraying. If I have crossed that line, I apologize to Jam. My daughter has pounded in to me the words, "It's my story. Let me tell it when and how I want to share it." This is Jam's story and game. I hold no position or power. I am just trying to help. I plan to work more at sorting through things and sending Jam short lists of "suggestions." I have not done this up to this point, but am doing it because he stated that would help him. So as I move forward trying to do this, please understand I do not think I am in control or in charge. I am neither. I am just trying to help as best I can. Feel free to pound me with issues and needs. I want to start a few threads to work at organizing things, like the GFM poll for things we want. That was a test and it worked really well. I want to do more of that in the immediate future. Not because I can take over, but just so I can help organize issues and wants. Maybe by doing that, when Jam does come around, he will not feel attacked by us, but lifted by us.

Finally, I asked LH to post this here. I think her thoughts and views are worth discussing. I think we can continue to do that here. Anyone who does not want to filter things through me, are welcome to try to go directly to Jam. I just suggest that you be ready to receive the short, often slow responses I have always gotten. Do not take things personally. Last thing Jam wants to do is chase anyone away. Last thing I want to do is that also. Maybe I should have spoken up sooner, but I am slow to step in until there is a clear request. I apologize if my slowness has added to this. I fear it has. That is my introvertedness kicking in a bit also.

Now, only those without dyslexia/ADD can be included because they are the only ones who can read something this long without drifting off. I can get very longwinded. 8-)
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

davh62

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Postby davh62 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:36 am

I understand with all points given. We have to remember that to us Ascent is a game to Jam it is a business.
As such there are many aspects that have to be accomplished behind the scenes. Running a business is highly draining & stressful when you pretty much got to do everything yourself. I no I've been there. As such it's always about priority's. The top priority's are always going to be generating sales & putting food on the table. This pretty much over rides everything including content & appearances. Time management is everything.
I have the greatest respect for Jam & all the loyal player base. You are all tops in my book, the community is extremely positive. Please keep the faith, pay your subs, buy extra SC, invite new friends/gamers to play, make tube videos, write steam reviews & give to the ascent fund. These things create motivation for Jam to nudge the game into where it deserves/should to be.

See you in the depths of space somewhere out there.
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Barons Rest- Hater of rams speaking date stamp
User

Moneyman

Rank

Captain

Captain

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:45 pm

:mrgreen: RAM, those images were great WISH there were more (and honestly) less text (always good to read).

:idea: Don't you think $3k would go a long way advertising in online platforms (word-of-mouth) rather than conventional ad plays?

:arrow: I would consider (I'm still JAM's FOE, in his mind) contributing if it was used for that purpose.

Advertising steps

1. Open a membership in a online platform for JAM about Ascent information.
2. Arrange member ad for the online platform members to use the Ascent forum to chat with us.
3. Create and respond posts to threads orientated to a online platform we advertise in.

New player Recruitment and retention

1. Develop strategy to turn online platform chat into Ascent game sales.
2. Refine current new player interactions toward encouraging online platform word-of-mouth.
3. Develop retention strategy for a more diverse population of players.

:idea: We are looking for smart people with life experience who value being in a player community.

:?: So, what do you think of my idea?
Next