User

RAM

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

What Ascent is and is not

Postby RAM » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Here is a write up I hope to post as a review on Steam and other places. Give me your options and feel free to add some things you see it is and is not.

What Ascent Is and Is Not

Ascent came on line mid 2013. Since then, there has been many changes and additions. With all those changes, there are still some things at the core of the game that can be highlighted.

Ascent-The Space Game is:

A sandbox. Similar to Lego, it gives the player pieces to create what each person imagines within the boundaries of the game environment. We are given set pieces and are allowed to put them together as we want.

A MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) game. It allows players to interact, chat, trade, and cooperate in game play and on large projects such as jump gate building and terraforming worlds. At the core of the game is a place to cooperate.

An environment with 270,000,000,000 stars, each explorable with an average of 10 planets/moons in each star system. It is an entire galaxy waiting to be discovered. Each system is procedurally created from random seeds. This means that each system can have a wide variety of differing features, planets, and resources from a base standard set of resources which are available in game. Some are quite common, while a few are quite rare, yet all have been found and can be available to any player within the game.

A game with a very basic storyline. We are not forced within a story that limits the players to a defined outcome or role. We are free to create our own story and empire. The dynamics are very easy to work with and after a short time, each player soon becomes a tycoon or master of their realm. There is so much room to play, that one can create an empire and never bump into another player, or create their empire on well established systems and join in on the projects going on within the game. One can switch back and forth between the two easily if mood calls for a day alone, or a day of play and interactions with the community.

A place for traders. Trade is another core part of the game. Players can trade with NPC Space Stations in the Inner9 systems, or player Stock Markets in the outer systems. Mining asteroids is also a way to get free resources and sell to players or SS Local Markets for high profit trading.

A Relaxed Community. Because we are given tools of cooperation, not destruction, we are able to assist each other and coordinate our efforts for the good of humanity, not the destruction of it. We get to know each other and enjoy catching up and joking. While we take the game seriously, we can relax and enjoy interacting and relating to each other. The game has a light layer of politics with a few elected positions, so good relations are also a tool within game to further one’s political carrier. The game waits for the player and is designed for someone to play heavy, or a few hours a week, if they choose. The few quests in game are more for a tutorial then for locked in play. One can start and stop them at any time and place. Once achieved, the quests are done and allows for relaxed free play. One can even dro into and out of the quests and the storyline waits for the player to want to go to the next step in the quest. The community also puts a lot of time and effort into creating game support. The game wiki pages are supplied and run by the players along with multiple other support tools. While play style can be relaxed, one can do some serious number crunching and documenting. Again, the player gets to chooe which way they want to play.

A light PvE(Player versus Environment) game. There are Non Player Character (NPC) pirates that are limited to selected areas. These are the only things players can shoot and attack. They are only in designated areas, so one has to seek them out. This allows to player co choose if they want to fight, or just build your empire. It allows for the relaxed game play. Pirates can be engaged, or ignored. A player can choose to take out some pirates one day and ignore them the next.

Not a finished game. With one developer and many pieces available, like Legos, it can be a never ending play, or one you build a few things, then grow tired. New pieces are added slowly at times and quickly other times. The simple things come fast, but the more complex parts of the game take much more development and come slower. Each piece gives multiple ways of using it, so one piece can just add a little, or change the entire game dynamic. We often do not know until exploring it for a while to see how it effects things. Again, part of the open play that some like, while others do not. Serious bugs are addressed and dealt with, but a few additions are still in process of completion and have small issues that are on the list to be fixed. These issues are not game breaking, but one does need to be patient as they are slowly woven into completed game design. While this can be frustrating to some, remembering that there are some interconnectivity of other features that are coming may be why it is left as is for the present. One developer has to choose what is critical to put time into. Sometimes that time is just running the business and design has to be put on the back burner for a bit. Looking back over the past 4 years, the speed of new game development and additions are quite impressive for one person to have achieved. There is plenty of content for the cost of the game.

Not for everyone. Sandbox games are not for everyone. Some like the tight quests and goals set by a designer. Others enjoy the freedom of creating their own empire and game style. Some

Not a place for PvP (Player versus Player). It is a place that you can not loose what you have. No one can destroy something you have worked to build or create. The core of the game is construction, not destruction. One player can not negatively affect another player’s game in a major way. No one can own systems, planets, or asteroid fields. They are all open to everyone. While you can not be locked out of anything, you can also not lock out anyone else from anything except your own colonies and starbases. You control those areas and share the rest of the areas of play. If your goal is to cause grief to others, you will find you have little tools to do that. Ascent is not a place to go after others.

No where close to finding Earth. The ultimate goal is to find our way back to Earth. There is so much room and game play left before we can get back to Earth. We are not even sure what is between us and Earth. We suspect some alien influence, but only one encounter of extraterrestrials while progressing through the Neptune Project quest has been revealed. Out fears are there is a large alien force that we much face as we get closer to Earth, but this is all speculation.

Well worth the price. Along with the purchase of the game, the player gets 3 months of premium subscription. This is more than enough time to delve into and build a massive empire. If the player enjoys the community and game play, it is only $3 a month for premium access after the first 3 months.

Ready for you. The game and welcoming community is always ready for many more new Pilot Citizens (PC). We need those who have the neural pathways that allow for warp and hyperdrive abilities. Are you tired of the constant drama and conflict? Are you ready for a totally different way to play a MMO? Are you ready to join us as we work together continuing to expand humanity’s reach into the galaxy on our way home? If you have read this far, we think you may just be one of the ones we are looking for.
Ban cheese slicers. Make Apollo Sector grate again!
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

davh62

Rank

Captain

Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

UK

Re: What Ascent is and is not

Postby davh62 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Nice post, accurate & factual.

btw I'm back!
FG Fighters Guild Founder
Senator of Ferrite-Senator of Prime-Senator of Provision-Senator of Barons Rest-Senator of Menzel3-Senator of Titan
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Excellent job, RAM.

May I suggest another read through before publication: there are a few typos and the following seems unfinished...

ram wrote:Not for everyone. Sandbox games are not for everyone. Some like the tight quests and goals set by a designer. Others enjoy the freedom of creating their own empire and game style. Some
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby RAM » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Mooncrest wrote:Excellent job, RAM.

May I suggest another read through before publication: there are a few typos and the following seems unfinished...

Please point out the typos. I know I make them often. I will read through it again too. I often find I can better word things on the second time through.

ram wrote:Not for everyone. Sandbox games are not for everyone. Some like the tight quests and goals set by a designer. Others enjoy the freedom of creating their own empire and game style. Some

Hmm. One of the 12 times I was interrupted with needing to help one of the generators with school work. I will work on that one. Thanks.
User

Moneyman

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:36 pm

:mrgreen: An excellent and comprehensive description of the game. The number of typos is small for the amount of text. :D

:?: Do you intend to insert this content into the AscentExtras video? Seems the most appropriate place for the content. :)

:arrow: There are quite a number of existing forum threads you might want to include as links within this content. ;)

:idea: Consider, from within the below Moneyman link, from the list of non-Moneyman threads for inclusion in your content. :shock:

:arrow: That is, use existing forum threads to illustrate the points you make in the leading post to this thead ( :?: )
User

LadyHawk

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Very nice, Ram....as always, you are an excellent writer and I think you do a great job of capturing the spirit of this game that makes it so different from all the rest.

Moon is correct...a number of typos need fixing but I'm sure you'll easily spot 99% of them when you have an chance to read it over again without generator interruptions :lol:
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby RAM » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:10 am

LadyHawk wrote:Very nice, Ram....as always, you are an excellent writer and I think you do a great job of capturing the spirit of this game that makes it so different from all the rest.

Moon is correct...a number of typos need fixing but I'm sure you'll easily spot 99% of them when you have an chance to read it over again without generator interruptions :lol:

Thanks. Today was the last day of school this week. I should be able to think clearly tomorrow. :lol:

Moneyman wrote:Do you intend to insert this content into the AscentExtras video?

Plan to post it as a review on Steam and other places I find appropriate.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MIB Tyngbraneth, Miner's Paradise

Postby Mooncrest » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:38 am

ram wrote:A Relaxed Community. Because we are given tools of cooperation, not destruction, we are able to assist each other and coordinate our efforts for the good of humanity, not the destruction of it. We get to know each other and enjoy catching up and joking. While we take the game seriously, we can relax and enjoy interacting and relating to each other. The game has a light layer of politics with a few elected positions, so good relations are also a tool within game to further one’s political career. The game waits for the player and is designed for someone to play heavily, or a few hours a week, if they choose. The few quests in game are more for a tutorial than for locked in play. One can start and stop them at any time and place. Once achieved, the quests are done and this allows for a return to relaxed, free play. One can even drop into and out of the quests and the storyline waits for the player to want to go to the next step in the quest. The community also puts a lot of time and effort into creating game support. The game wiki pages are supplied and run by the players along with multiple other support tools. While play style can be relaxed, one can do some serious number crunching and documenting. Again, the player gets to choose which way they want to play..

These are the ony ones I spotted and, perhaps, some are due to differences between English and American. Sorry, if I have got the American idiom wrong.

Having read through it again, I am wondering if you might emphasise the experimentation with new "pieces" a bit more. In the 'Not a Finished Gamw' section you mention exploring the attributes and uses of new "pieces". I think that this is a vital part of the game design. In order to find out how to use a new piece we have to experiment with it. We have to write the instruction manual, if you will, because, like new discoveries in real-life, it does not come with instructions. Certainly for me and I know for lots of others this has been a fun part of the game. Afterall, it took me the best part of two and a half years to figure ut how to set up an Easter Egg Hunt. :D
User

Moneyman

Rank

Commander

Commander

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Massachusetts

Postby Moneyman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:31 am

:mrgreen: Moon has and continues to make significant contributions to the game ... I think his Easter egg was a biggie. :D
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby RAM » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Mooncrest wrote:Having read through it again, I am wondering if you might emphasise the experimentation with new "pieces" a bit more.

Good idea. I will work on that.
Next