User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Help!

Postby jam » Fri May 09, 2014 7:54 am

I can do a lot of different stuff. Much of it I'm good at. Get me in front of a server cluster and a nice development environment, and I can give you any gameplay feature you can think of, in a time frame that will knock your socks off, and that's a fact.

Another fact is there are many things I am NOT good at, or just flat out CANNOT DO. A good example is artwork - I can't make something look good to save my life :D So for all of the artwork in Ascent so far, we either make do with placeholder stuff, or I've paid someone else out of my own pocket to get it done.

Another one is videos. I've never made videos. Every time FKS makes one I'm paying a professional to do it. This might be something I just need to learn - but for now it's on the list of stuff I'm a newbie at.

Yet another is networking and getting attention. Most gaming press tend to file my emails in a "do not read" folder, or something - which is why we hired a PR guy who is working away, and making significant headway in that area.

What I want to do with this game - and soon - is to start a Games Studio. Get a little office around here somewhere and hire a developer (who's good at the things I'm not like interface and details) and an artist, and really get moving on our future, awesome features. Running a business, hiring and managing people, luckily, are all things I'm good at too.

If we manage to get Greenlit (vote here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194109407!) and onto Steam, I am confident we can achieve this, but to get there, I am asking for your help. If you're playing this game, love it, and want to see it reach its true potential - there are things you can do.

If there's a gaming site you read regularly, you can ask them to cover us. Every little article helps!

If there are video bloggers you're familiar with, asking them to do an episode on our game could also help, potentially a lot.

If you make videos yourself, making one will also help! If you make an Ascent video, post about it on the forum and I might link to it from our main site at thespacegame.com.

Blogging about us can help to, as can asking bloggers you know to blog about us. Please do both, if you can!

Are there gaming forums you're a member of, with people who might be interested in this game? Posting about us can help! I'm not asking anyone to spam (don't - that'll do more harm than good) but if you can post about us legitimately, please do.

Tweeting, sharing on facebook, you name it, this stuff all helps. It's all publicity.

And that's the number one thing Ascent lacks right now. A little bit more and we'll make it - we've got thousands of votes for Steam as it is and you can all see the playerbase steadily growing. Ascent is already paying for its own server costs, we just need a little bit more of a push and we'll get off the ground, and out of all this atmosphere...
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Re: Help!

Postby ForumBot » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:22 pm

jam wrote:I can do a lot of different stuff. Much of it I'm good at. Get me in front of a server cluster and a nice development environment, and I can give you any gameplay feature you can think of, in a time frame that will knock your socks off, and that's a fact.

Another fact is there are many things I am NOT good at, or just flat out CANNOT DO. A good example is artwork - I can't make something look good to save my life :D So for all of the artwork in Ascent so far, we either make do with placeholder stuff, or I've paid someone else out of my own pocket to get it done.

Another one is videos. I've never made videos. Every time FKS makes one I'm paying a professional to do it. This might be something I just need to learn - but for now it's on the list of stuff I'm a newbie at.

Yet another is networking and getting attention. Most gaming press tend to file my emails in a "do not read" folder, or something - which is why we hired a PR guy who is working away, and making significant headway in that area.

What I want to do with this game - and soon - is to start a Games Studio. Get a little office around here somewhere and hire a developer (who's good at the things I'm not like interface and details) and an artist, and really get moving on our future, awesome features. Running a business, hiring and managing people, luckily, are all things I'm good at too.

If we manage to get Greenlit (vote here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194109407!) and onto Steam, I am confident we can achieve this, but to get there, I am asking for your help. If you're playing this game, love it, and want to see it reach its true potential - there are things you can do.

If there's a gaming site you read regularly, you can ask them to cover us. Every little article helps!

If there are video bloggers you're familiar with, asking them to do an episode on our game could also help, potentially a lot.

If you make videos yourself, making one will also help! If you make an Ascent video, post about it on the forum and I might link to it from our main site at thespacegame.com.

Blogging about us can help to, as can asking bloggers you know to blog about us. Please do both, if you can!

Are there gaming forums you're a member of, with people who might be interested in this game? Posting about us can help! I'm not asking anyone to spam (don't - that'll do more harm than good) but if you can post about us legitimately, please do.

Tweeting, sharing on facebook, you name it, this stuff all helps. It's all publicity.

And that's the number one thing Ascent lacks right now. A little bit more and we'll make it - we've got thousands of votes for Steam as it is and you can all see the playerbase steadily growing. Ascent is already paying for its own server costs, we just need a little bit more of a push and we'll get off the ground, and out of all this atmosphere...

I know of a Youtuber who has about 100k subs, and he may try out Ascent if someone tells him about it, since he focuses on Sci-fi games like Eve and KSP.
joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.

Officially the 12980th registered user, ~158th registered forum account.

Discoverer of Nexus

So far has made a total of: ~5 quitting threads and counting!
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Postby jam » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:15 pm

ForumBot wrote:I know of a Youtuber who has about 100k subs, and he may try out Ascent if someone tells him about it, since he focuses on Sci-fi games like Eve and KSP.

It would be worth contacting them perhaps...
...............................................................................................................................................
User

ForumBot

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Postby ForumBot » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:17 pm

jam wrote:
ForumBot wrote:I know of a Youtuber who has about 100k subs, and he may try out Ascent if someone tells him about it, since he focuses on Sci-fi games like Eve and KSP.

It would be worth contacting them perhaps...

Problem is, I'm not sure how to. I know the guy is an Eve player though so maybe someone who hasn't canceled their sub yet would be able to contact him.
joined on May 6, 2014 and quit on January 3rd, 2016.

Officially the 12980th registered user, ~158th registered forum account.

Discoverer of Nexus

So far has made a total of: ~5 quitting threads and counting!
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:23 pm

I found this and thought it might help you get your company on a little better ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4&list=UUshnCkfV7U6DqR4IHbQbI7Q
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Postby jam » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Not weird al's best work... but definitely vaguely amusing!
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:44 pm

jam wrote:Not weird al's best work... but definitely vaguely amusing!

Been to one of his concerts. It was fun. He seems to do his best songs in concert, so it filtered out the really out there songs.
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

FAdmiral

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Postby FAdmiral » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 pm

I think once this game is released on steam, it will really start to grow.
Steam is very big and getting many more followers. My friends and I
enjoy it very much because of the link up between player friends.
Friday, Feb. 27, 2015 could very well be the day this game skyrockets.
BTW, my handle on steam is the same as it is here.
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Same here, including the evil klown avatar :mrgreen:
User

FAdmiral

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Postby FAdmiral » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:05 pm

It also looks like we are both from Atlanta, GA......
Next