User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: A long overdue introduction...

Postby rmartz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:08 pm

I really agree with what has been posted here so far, well, except for that crazy H+ thing. :P

The challenge is what can be done in the remaining time of the KS. Getting the kickstarter to succeed has to be done by selling the vision and what will be, not what is.

How can we help identify it and help promote it?
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

drakend

Rank

Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:57 am

Postby drakend » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:09 pm

My proposal was dismissed as "crazy H+ thing"! :(
I'm so sad... but when you put fuel in your car doesn't it cost more than one cent? :P
no avatar
User

mehtryx

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Postby mehtryx » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:13 pm

slhawkins wrote:
Hubes wrote:[*]The Deep Six wreck is a pain to find, a common fix it to warp out and come back. Many players have an issue with this if they get to this point. That becomes a problem since most players spend a big chunk of their money to get there.
[*]Some people have bought deeds to settlements they can't get without premium. It's not obvious until after they ask us how to get to it. At that point the money is lost...[/list]

I think the big problem is the money spent or lost early on. We have a number of new players who have complained about the ability to make money. This problem is compounded by thinking they should spend money on something they can't use effectively at the point they are at in the game. As mentioned before, the Hyperdrive mission probably shouldn't even be up there until they have a shipyard. They don't need one that early, especially with the two player-made gates we have open.

Here is a suggestion....which obviously would need more consideration for the flow of the starting missions and such. But if you want to draw more people to play, and this new player experience is a barrier, specifically for some of the points mentioned which I quoted above.

Why not specifically give new players access to a class 1 hyperdrive immediately. Why not make those 8 core planets accessible if people buy deeds without premium. Remove the barriers that elicit feelings as described above when new player x buys a deed they can't use while trying the game....or the sudden need for a million credits to be able to jump anywhere and explore...open these doors, as they are obviously a low end part of the game compared to getting better hyperdrives and establishing colonies.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Just a quick explanation about the Inner8 being different. They are the original design. Later Jam added the 270 billion systems to the original 8 systems. Janus A Was part the the new planets. That is why it is different. The Inner8 can not be easily changed to planets like the outer systems. The grid layout is the same, it just maps each buildable square differently for each person. There are not really planets under them, just a plot simulation. This is why you need a Deed to even land on them. There is nothing there except the small settlement section that changes production numbers and building layouts for each player landing.

This is why the Inner8 have to be gated differently and a few other things that have to be done differently. They are really structured totally different. Before long, the Inner8 will be a mini game within the larger game. It may be getting close to that now.

I like the way the inner8 help to ramp up complexity. Having a new player go right into dome and colony creation would be a challenge. The inner8 are a good step towards outer colonies.

The reason why I pushed so hard to get gates built is to allow newer players to experience what the 270 billion systems are really like. I think Janus A will help us see what a terraformed planet will look like.

So changing some of the Inner8 is not a real easy process.
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
no avatar
User

slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Postby slhawkins » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Inglonias wrote:The simplest thing you can do? Make the downloadable client available to everyone. It's more stable and much faster than the web client. Sure, you can still sell it from Desura with premium time, but this seems like a quick way to give everyone a less buggy version of the game.

This. There was one person who mention being "scared off" by the demo. He tried the web player and was dismayed by the performance. We told him the PC client was much better and he was resistant at first to download it.

Make the current "Demo" version a free version. One which cannot be used for premium stuff. Then the selling point of the Desura client is the fact that premium features can be used. This really won't change much. Right now you can download the demo and play for 30 days regardless of whether you buy premium or not. It will allow players to continue playing for free without a premium - but they do that already with the web player. So in reality, you're giving them nothing extra except a better performance client which results in a happier player. Who knows, maybe they'll pass the word on or buy premium!

Better experience = Better chance of success
no avatar
User

swumpex

Rank

Space Cadet

Space Cadet

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:12 am

Postby swumpex » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Guys, thanks for the feedback - keep it coming. It is appreciated, and we're listening.
no avatar
User

mehtryx

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Postby mehtryx » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:32 pm

rmartz wrote:
So changing some of the Inner8 is not a real easy process.

No one suggested changing them, I just said to give them for free. If a simple check to see if a person can use a planet is being done for premium versus not, add an exception to always let these be accessible. If that is not an easy task....then as my past 30 years as an IT guy with database, programming and sys admin experience....I'd say this game has a bigger problem looming in the background.

So just make the 8 planets open to all, yes its different, but it adds to the new player experience earlier than colonies will. Just like class 1 hyperdrives, you could seed them on the market cheaply to make it an option. Remove the barriers to let people get a taste, your end game being sold is colonization, stations, etc.. not these measly morsels at the start.
no avatar
User

slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby slhawkins » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:08 pm

I do have to agree with him. The inner colonies aren't really worth a premium.

I realize there will be an argument against changing a premium everyone (including myself) has already paid for, but it's one that maybe should be brought up and talked about. The inner colonies are pretty much pointless. They were a great learning experience but they gain you very little in reality. They don't produce enough to provide any sort of active supply of resources, which is why I'm constantly go to MP/Prime or my own colony to get more resources for my starbase. Do I pick up resources from them? Sure... But they don't provide much.

In comparison, look at what the Industry premium gets you. I get 100 rings and the ability to use my class 13 mining beam effectively. You've already got a combat premium. I suggest breaking the Industry premium up and creating a mining premium - if you must have 3 premiums. The Industry premium right now is by far the most powerful and rewarding.

If you're worried about breaking it up, then change the Premium planets premium to a colony premium, required to maintain colonies outside of the inner systems.

Either way, reworking the premium would probably help more than it is right now, and give new players a feel for the inner systems more. It would also allow players to build up their 6 ring starbase with their own materials from these colonies, giving them the ability to subsist on their own for free if they must - again, needed for a good free-play experience that encourages more playing.

*I do realize stellar credits are used for the colonies, so a colony premium that allowed using them would almost be redundant. Maybe make SC useful for other things as well?
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Postby rmartz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:58 pm

I think the Inner8 settlements will become much more viable once NPC pilots come onboard. I have already figured out how to double production and might be able to push that a little more. Having each produce and be delivered each day by an NPC pilot will be a nice boost. This will justify the Inner8, plus the monthly 100 SC you get from this premium.

I would agree that the premium planets is not as impactful at this time, but historically and, I think in the future, it has been and will be more important. Not sure one way or the other that it will impact getting new players. Now that outer colonies are gated, it is so easy to get those resources and haul if someone does not want to go premium planets.

I do think that making the deeds only available to premium planet players would be a good feature. I know several who bought a deed before learning that they could not use it. This is part of the UI rework that does need to be done.
Check out RAM Memories.
no avatar
User

slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby slhawkins » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:41 am

slhawkins wrote:
  • Login problems - with the web player the login button is not clickable if they haven't played at all. This becomes a problem when someone plays, registers, but then comes back at a later time or on a different computer. It's a good way to stop someone in their tracks.

I stand corrected - it's not that there's a login problem as described above, but rather the registration process in general that is confusing. Some players make an extra account or two before figuring it out.
PreviousNext