slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: New Massively Article - Indie MMO's

Postby slhawkins » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:20 pm

rmartz wrote:
Thoemse wrote:Personally i find the ship computer fun but that is because i am an old fart that is used to DOS commands.

Ship Computer is not DOS but Linux because capitalization matters!! :lol:

I am so glad that the future us learned which one was really good and kept it. 8-)

It's neither! A Linux system allows you to go through your history by pressing the up arrow.
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:40 pm

slhawkins wrote:It's neither! A Linux system allows you to go through your history by pressing the up arrow.

That feature has been removed from ship computers for security reasons. Since ships can be piloted others, they removed this feature to remove the history of a previous pilot. 8-) :P
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby slhawkins » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:47 pm

rmartz wrote:
slhawkins wrote:It's neither! A Linux system allows you to go through your history by pressing the up arrow.

That feature has been removed from ship computers for security reasons. Since ships can be piloted others, they removed this feature to remove the history of a previous pilot. 8-) :P

Horse manure!

I think it might just be a big in the system. At startup it executes "history - c".
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Postby rmartz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:28 am

slhawkins wrote:Horse manure!

I think it might just be a big in the system. At startup it executes "history - c".

Horse manure is a good thing to a farmer. So are you saying it is a good thing? You must be. :P

If it were Windows, every notice we get would pop up in its own window and we would not have command line commands. This excludes windows. So linux is the one OS that has survived. I wonder if Windows was part of the collapse, or the CAUSE of the collapse? I think the later!
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
no avatar
User

slhawkins

Rank

Commander

Commander

Postby slhawkins » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:41 am

rmartz wrote:
slhawkins wrote:Horse manure!

Horse manure is a good thing to a farmer. So are you saying it is a good thing? You must be. :P

Just because something is good for some people doesn't make it the case for everyone else. Chemotherapy might be really helpful to some, but for most people it's a bad thing. So no, not saying that at all. :)

rmartz wrote:If it were Windows, every notice we get would pop up in its own window and we would not have command line commands. This excludes windows. So linux is the one OS that has survived. I wonder if Windows was part of the collapse, or the CAUSE of the collapse? I think the later!

Maybe what we have is an older version of DOS! I wasn't around in the old days so I'm unsure if there's a version of DOS or a Unix Shell that never had the arrow up feature. I'm sure somewhere there is. :)

/derail
User

Agamemnon

Rank

Captain

Captain

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Postby Agamemnon » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Good article, i saw a lot of the same comments repeated over and over again. Marketing, trust, graphics, trust, UI, trust, gameplay, trust.....seems gamers have an underlying trust issue when it comes to developers and kickstarters to say the least...lol
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Postby jam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:19 pm

So many of the things you guys are saying are bugs, aren't. They're just my terrible UX and UI designs. Jam is good at making strange things work, but not at making strange things straightforward to use.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Postby jam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:25 pm

Agamemnon wrote:Good article, i saw a lot of the same comments repeated over and over again. Marketing, trust, graphics, trust, UI, trust, gameplay, trust.....seems gamers have an underlying trust issue when it comes to developers and kickstarters to say the least...lol

Yeah I saw the same thing. I also saw a lot of people who actually might love our game if only they tried it - folks complaining about how every indie mmo is a PVP wreck, how there is no gameplay only KS promises etc etc. That was dis/heartening to read!

The themes definitely seem to be:

Trust
    Graphics
    UI
    Glitchiness and bugs
    Marketing

Planningly, these are all things on our radar. Except trust. We already kick butt in availability and stability of the business, and assuming we ever collapsed down to a tiny playerbase, I really can run the whole thing from my home at no personal cost. Trust will take time I suppose, or some kind of PR coup where we announce we're "not indy" anymore or something.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
Previous