jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Update - KickStarter, Company, Game

Postby jam » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:08 pm

KickStarter
KickStarter has paid up. We now have the absolute bare minimum funding to do what we wanted to do with visuals and UI while I continue to add new features.

We most likely don't have enough for a complete new UI at this level, just some part time/contract work to improve what we've got. We'll try to focus on the really annoying and ugly bits first.

However, I expect we'll be able to do a lot with art, going beyond replacing the last of the ships. The game will look a LOT better when we're done.

KickStarter Rewards
I've sent surveys asking for an email address for each tier. Be careful to get this address correct, as we'll be sending your reward keys there.

Although it is true we aren't obligated to deliver beyond the $10 mark until January, I will try to get all the premium and SC keys out separately as soon as I can. Obviously for things like new ships etc we will stick to the schedule on the rewards page.

The Company
Given how we did in the KS (barely scraped by, now operating on "we can just move forward barely with this budget" money), we have had some discussions with potential investors. No promises but there is the potential for us to obtain more funding and really do this properly.

We are now in the top 100 on Steam Greenlight. This is INCREDIBLY exciting. Although there is no guarantee Valve will greenlight us any time soon or even necessarily at all, getting a release date on Steam would change... everything.

In the mean time, I am trying to continue very carefully but as quickly as we can with the funding we have. I have to watch every dollar going out the door pretty carefully or we'll run out before delivering on our promises, and I need to manage things as best I can to make sure there is as much as possible that can be put into UI work as well.

We have had KS money for a little over a week, and we're looking at office space, PCs etc. The possibility of having more funding in the near future complicates everything though.

The Game
Development has been slow as hell lately. I don't mind admitting that the 33 days of the KickStarter burned me out horribly, but I feel a whole lot better now, especially now we're getting traction on Steam. I hope to return to our breakneck development pace soon, however there is a lot of other work to do as well, and the long term picture is a lot more critical right now.
...............................................................................................................................................
Thanks for playing, thanks for posting, and thanks for your feedback!
User

rmartz

Rank

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Update - KickStarter, Company, Game

Postby rmartz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:19 pm

jam wrote:we have had some discussions with potential investors. No promises but there is the potential for us to obtain more funding and really do this properly.

Is this a closed group or are you open to other investors?
Ingame accounts: RAM, rmartz
Check out RAM Memories.
Visit AscentExtras.com for player built game tools, guilds, and links to game related data.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
User

Prolapser

Rank

Commander

Commander

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Postby Prolapser » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:23 pm

I am probably your best and worst critic, yet I admit that what you have done with your limited resources has been impressive.

I will continue to constructively support your game in my own critical way. :D
no avatar
User

Thoemse

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Postby Thoemse » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:28 pm

This is great news. I hope you secure the funding.
I have seen games tank on steam but they all were released horribly unfinished. This game has content. I believe good player retention should be possible.
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Postby jam » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:59 pm

rmartz wrote:
jam wrote:we have had some discussions with potential investors. No promises but there is the potential for us to obtain more funding and really do this properly.

Is this a closed group or are you open to other investors?

Closed at the moment.
...............................................................................................................................................
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Postby jam » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:00 pm

Thoemse wrote:This is great news. I hope you secure the funding.
I have seen games tank on steam but they all were released horribly unfinished. This game has content. I believe good player retention should be possible.

I think we've got some good gameplay and more is coming. I also think in a few months' time we can have much better graphics and either significantly or massively better UI and usability. I think we'd do well on steam, at least for an Indy, but the reason we're talking to investors now is that I feel very strongly that we can put more money to good use between now and whenever we get a release day :D
no avatar
User

jam

Rank

Developer

Developer

Postby jam » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:07 am

Premium and SC reward keys sent for up to $15 reward level.

Will tackle the rest later today. I'm leaving spaces for folks who haven't sent a "survey" back yet...
User

Abominog

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm

Postby Abominog » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:59 am

Even though you were not obliged to hand out the Premium access portion of the kickstarter until the Due Dated as Stated I just wanted to say a Big THANKYOU to you for the early release of it - got my 24 Months premium, 4,000 Stellar Credits key and very happy.

keep up the great work :)
no avatar
User

Thoemse

Rank

Ensign

Ensign

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Postby Thoemse » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Yeah thank you. Great timing for me since my premium from desure runs out tomorrow. :lol:

It's funny because i did not expect much of this game. When i supported it on kickstarter it was more like: Good idea - I'll support with 25 bucks and see if something happenes. I had the 25 $ written off more or less because many kickstarter MMO's are a big failure.
I got burnt before but the idea behind Ascent was too good to not support.

When i started playing i was positively surprised to an extent where i felt sorry about not backing the game with more money.

From what i read you found an investor. It makes me very happy that someone besides the small playerbase saw the potential in the game you are building here.