User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 am

remove lv cap restriction

Postby Wulf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:32 pm

not new player thing but I might pop on now and then if i could use my class 15 mining beam.
How about removing the restrictions on FTP accounts? I figure if u have payed once then you should be considered premium and not have a cap on the things like scoops and mining beams. also I was very very sad to see my SC dwindle while i was away, I thought the original concept was that u could come and go but with colonies constantly eating your SC's - that is not the case. I had many thousand and they have vanished [between kickstarter (two accounts) and extras there was a lot.]

Anyhow looks like the game is limping along, wish players and developer(s) (still just Jam?) all the best.
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: remove lv cap restriction

Postby Loke » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Premium stuff is a bit outdated, only makes sense when settling a new colony. i9 planets and module level cap is not the best restriction for free players anymore as the game has developed since premium was made.

Only time I notice my premium has run out is when I go mine, otherwise I dont notice it. And only thing I need it for is range of mining beam. Difference between a class 15 and 5 MB on 3 year old rocks is negletable.

Dont think anything will change unless we get the Black sky update, since that weas supposed to bring a renewed income model for the game IIRC
Callsign: Fraaggii or Loke
Senator Loke of Primo Spe, 8086, New Horizon, Skadi, Darkfield and Niu Heimar
Statistics for Nio and Tin prices: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3427

-Playing on RAMs nickel
no avatar
User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby Wulf » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 am

Loke wrote: Difference between a class 15 and 5 MB on 3 year old rocks is negletable.

I know this is an old post, i like to know if a normal player say mining skill of 80-100 with class 5 vs class 15 if there is much difference? (your skill is so high that saying a class 15 has little effect may only be because of extreme high skill).

Note: The idea was that u could play for a bit, walk a way for a while and comeback BUT the lose of all the paid for SC really ticked me off. i bough kickstarter and extra mnths, had piles of credits and they just disappear. not that there is anything to really buy with them but....

still interested in this question and will check back on it, Thanks
Wulf

PS STILL think a change on how rocks age would be great, I know i have ranted on this several times but having them age to 2? years worth in 13 weeks instead with size changes size 1 (tiny) - size 4 one step per 3 weeks then size 5 at beginning of week 13, max size..... sorry just could not help myself from poking this issue :P
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

One of the advantages if a higher level is the wider beam. Makes it easier to judge timing thus increases yield because of better accuracy.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
no avatar
User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby Wulf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:40 am

Yes but ftp only gets class 5 ( and it takes massively less space)
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:16 am

Wulf wrote:Yes but ftp only gets class 5 ( and it takes massively less space)

And "Free To Play" is playing on someone else's nickel. It does cost money to keep servers running. Those who host pay for it. I do not rent a game server, but I do rent a web server. It cost me $200 for 3 years. I suspect a game server is even more. While I do play free games, I also know that someone is footing the bill. They need to make money some way some how to pay for my ability to play for free.

I am not sure I would make the same choices Jam does on things, but they are his choices to make, so I just try to accept them as best I can. While playing today and mining, yes my mind always drifts while mining, I thought about when I win the lottery and have millions. I would buy the game and do lots with it. But until then, since I don't even buy lottery tickets, I just have to accept what is. Not helpful to some, but it is how I get through those things that annoy me in game.
no avatar
User

Wulf

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby Wulf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:00 pm

RAM wrote:

And "Free To Play" is playing on someone else's nickel. It does cost money to keep servers running. Those who host pay for it. I do not rent a game server, but I do rent a web server. It cost me $200 for 3 years. I suspect a game server is even more. While I do play free games, I also know that someone is footing the bill. They need to make money some way some how to pay for my ability to play for free.

I am not sure I would make the same choices Jam does on things, but they are his choices to make, so I just try to accept them as best I can. While playing today and mining, yes my mind always drifts while mining, I thought about when I win the lottery and have millions. I would buy the game and do lots with it. But until then, since I don't even buy lottery tickets, I just have to accept what is. Not helpful to some, but it is how I get through those things that annoy me in game.

really....really, after all the .... money I spent u are going to give me that..... u go right ahead and spend your money the way u want but dont ever ever give me or anyone else grief about how they spend theirs..... and as far as the game it is not my fault marketing failed . i gave lots of advice on the forms on what would help. i do have a background in game design and i do marketing and i have run a start up (several).... disappointed with statement is all i can say.
Jam can not be at all disappointed with fan base that held this game up. it really was the marketing team that dropped the ball, if u want to go blaming someone..... that's for the posts i am gone.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Postby RAM » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 pm

I was speaking in generalities, not suggesting you had not paid your fair share. Sorry I did not make that clearer.
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby Loke » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 pm

Wulf wrote:
Loke wrote: Difference between a class 15 and 5 MB on 3 year old rocks is negletable.

I know this is an old post, i like to know if a normal player say mining skill of 80-100 with class 5 vs class 15 if there is much difference? (your skill is so high that saying a class 15 has little effect may only be because of extreme high skill).

The thing is that how yield is calculated is that +1 level MB gives the same increase as let it grow one more day.
Example with 1 year old rock:
365 days + MB level 5 = yield of 369 days with a level 1 MB
365 days + MB level 15 = yield of 379 days with a level 1 MB

For a player with mining skill 100 that would yield:
365 days + MB level 5 = 2220 tin
365 days + MB level 15 = 2280 tin
Less than 3% increase for a 1 year old roid. Basically MB level becomes less and less relevant the older the roids gets, since age and MB level are added together.

If mining young roids the MB_lvl are much more important for yield:
14 days + MB level 5 = 114 tin
14 days + MB level 15 = 174 tin
More than 50% increase in yeild.

As I said, MB level is negletable for yeild from old roids. And just because I love numbers, here is an example with mining skill 1:
800 days + MB level 5 = 3252 tin
800 days + MB level 15 = 3292tin
Extra storage space on the ship is much more useful than 40 tons extra when mining old roids.

Formula for yeild:
(age + MB_lvl) * (1 + (skill / (skill + 100))) * base_yeild = yield
MB_lvl: level of Mining beam
skill: players mining skill
base_yeild= yeild just after spawn with MB_lvl 1 and mining skill 1. Which is 4 for nio and tin, 10 for prom and 20 for uranium.
I did not figure out the calculations, that was done by others in the forum, I just put it all in one formula to be able to calcluate any yeild when I need to.
I have an excel with the formula where I can easily switch age, skill and MB_lvl, very useful for calculating if prom roid is old enough to yield more than RAMs record 8-)

But there is one very big difference that makes it much worse to mine as free player: range
The range you get wtih MB level 5 feels really bad when you are used to MB level 12+ range, and when chasing dog bones in a Lev, that extra range becomes very handy. I would never do mining without premium just because of range. I was premium for almost all the time the 4+ years I was active, and whenever I forgot to renew, the lack of mining range reminded me to buy more premium.
Last edited by Loke on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Playing on RAMs nickel
User

Loke

Rank

Lt Commander

Lt Commander

Postby Loke » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 pm

RAM wrote:

Wow! Looks like your grumpy skill reached 300 before your mining skill :lol: Why the sudden hate on free players? They arent doing anything wrong, they are playing the game with intended access provided by the developer. Its not like they use a pirated copy or other exploits to get access to the game. They have the same rigth to play the game as you do.
You can ofc disagree with the model of free players and premium, and complain to Jam about that. But attacking players, for using it as intented, brings no good.
Please attack me instead, I enjoy it :D

-Playing on RAMs nickel
Next