Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 pm

MITH Menzel 3

Player Created Storylines

Postby Mooncrest » Fri May 31, 2019 1:51 pm

I have discovered that my ISP allows me to use up to 50MB of space on their server as a website. I think I could use this to create storylines/quests for players to do in Ascent. I am not a web designer, but I have an idea that if I can give players a code in-game via the name of a ship placed at a colony, OSB or planet viewpoint, they could type this in to a webpage and get some narrative and options for their next move; think of the Adventure Books produced by Steve Jackson in the 80's.

Obviously, this idea is in its infancy. I would need to learn how to create a website and I'm not even sure if this sort of process is possible on a website.

So if anyone can give me the name of a good book or website where I could learn how to create webpages and/or confirm that this sort of process is possible, I would be grateful.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Re: Player Created Storylines

Postby RAM » Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 pm

You could use Wordpress or such. Often one click installs at ISP and easy to write "pages" of text.

Once installed, you just create a new page type in what you want, add images as desired. No need to learn coding.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Fri May 31, 2019 9:55 pm

RAM wrote:You could use Wordpress or such. Often one click installs at ISP and easy to write "pages" of text.

Once installed, you just create a new page type in what you want, add images as desired. No need to learn coding.

Thanks for this info, RAM. I'll take a look.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:43 am

I am still workig on this.

I have looked at WordPress and WIX to host a website, but neither allows me to do what I think I need to do; both seem to operate at too high a level for the stuff I want to do. So I have got to grips with HTML and CSS and JavaScript. Hopefully I can come up with a method of accessing data that does not involve SQL and PHP 'cos I have had difficulty linking together.

At the moment I am playing with internal arrays which, hopefuly, will do the job as long as my storylines are not too long.

If I can get JavaScript to write to my server, I am hopeful that I can allow other players to set up their own storylines. At this time this sounds like a good idea that could provide hours of entertainment for all players and allow those of us who have run RPG campaigns to have some fun also.

The embryo site is at: http://www.weghill899.karoo.net

At this time it only contains information relating to Mooncrest Industries, but I've got the bug and am changing it all the time.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:55 pm

The Mooncrest Industries website has been updated to include a page that displays the Soil Sample data from the dump files created by the Ship Computer command 'dump soilsamples'. Simply click the 'Choose file' button and go to the directory where your Soil Sample files are located. Then Open the file. Files over about 30kb will take a few seconds to load as the data has to be parsed and that code has ot been optimised yet.

The Food Fertilities have been colour-coded to make it easy to spot Fertile planets. I am looking at colour-coding mineral deposits, but it will require me to decide how to divide up the percentages in to bands. I would like some advice on this, please.

What do you think is a good/fair/poor deposit for each mineral (Aluminium, Carbon, Iron and Titanium)?

EDIT:
I have added colour-coding for Minerals:
  • Red = Poor = < 20%
  • Light Green = Fair = > 20% 50%
  • Bright Green = Good = > 50%
I would appreciate some feedback on this.

I have encountered a data file that failed to parse. I am trying to ind out why. I have also encountered a file where the data was in the wrong order but it still parsed with odd results of course.
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm

I have used a wonderful site called [urlwww.w3schools.com]W3 Schools[/url]. They have tutoriaqls on HTMNL, CSS, JavaScript and loads of other stuff regarding web site development. The tutorials mare easy to use and you can try stuff for yourself along the way.

One of the things I am looking at is AJAX which is a method of reading files from the server and updating the web page without reloading it. I think I mcan use this to develop my idea of player created stories. Hopefully, I will have a test available next week.
no avatar
User

RAM

Rank

Captain

Captain

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 am

Postby RAM » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:30 am

You need a PHP script and database for AJAX to talk to.
"The UNCA is not your boss!" ~ Jessica Steele
Fan Fiction from an old timer - RAM Memories
User

Mooncrest

Rank

Commodore

Commodore

MITH Menzel 3

Postby Mooncrest » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:50 am

Yeah, I realise that now. :(

AJAX can read .txt files, the subsequent processing really slows things down.

I guess I got a bit too excited. Now I have looked at what I can actually do this idea seems weak. Still, I've learnt a lot about web site design and I am pleased with what I have done. Still trying to get the soil sample data to process more quickly...